Mejia Back In Rotation, Will Start Monday For Buffalo
The Mets are moving Jenrry Mejia back to the starting rotation said Mets VP of Player Development Paul DePodesta according to comments he made to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Sure enough, today’s media notes from the Buffalo Bisons reported that Mejia will get the start on Monday against the Indianapolis Indians at 7:05 PM.
DePodesta explained that Mejia changed his style of pitching once he moved from the rotation to the bullpen and not in a good way. It was what prompted the shift in the organization’s strategy with the young right-hander.
“The one detriment so far of him being in the bullpen is he’s had a mentality of just trying to throw harder, just trying to throw the ball by guys as opposed to pitching. That certainly wasn’t the intention or the goal of having him in the bullpen.”
Mejia, 22, is coming off Tommy John surgery, and is 14 months removed from the procedure. Before he was removed from the Buffalo rotation, he had a 1.13 ERA i three starts. While working out of the bullpen, Mejia hasn’t experienced the same level of success as his 5.48 ERA in 21.1 innings would indicate. The league batted .145 against him as a starter and .303 as a reliever.
“We don’t necessarily want to keep going back and forth,” DePodesta said last week. “Jenrry is in a tough spot because he’s still really coming back from Tommy John. I think we’re all thrilled right now that he’s out on the mound and he’s competing in such a short period time.”
I think Mejia is back where he belongs and is in his element when he’s starting. Good move.
About the Author: Craig Lerner
I'm a data analyst and researcher for a leading news agency who loves life and is hooked on the Mets. I love following the Amateur Draft and have a particular fondness for the Mets Minor Leagues who I follow each day. Give me a cold beer, a summer day, and a Mets game, and I'm good to go.
8 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 05/18/2013
- El Sid: on Is Collins The Blame For Team’s Poor Performance, Or Is He Just The Patsy?: If Sabathia's elbow goes then the Yankees...
- Nails: on Mets vs Cubs: Davis Not In Lineup As Gee Looks For A Win In Rubber Match: When Santana got hurt, I knew the...
- Metsie: on If At First You Don’t Succeed, Try Again In The Minors: If they do send him down it...
- Nails: on Mets vs Cubs: Davis Not In Lineup As Gee Looks For A Win In Rubber Match: Let's go Mets! Play hard and get...
- Metsie: on Is Collins The Blame For Team’s Poor Performance, Or Is He Just The Patsy?: "that will make the difference." WHEN? Please say...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!