3 Up & 3 Down: Destroyed By DC Edition
The Mets were swept away by the Nationals to wrap up a homestand that saw the Mets lose all six games for the first time since 2002. In fact during the six game homestand the Mets held the lead in only one game and for only a very short period of time. Terry Collins says changes are coming, let’s just hope the changes are for the better.
It’s taken some imagination to find three “ups”, but here we go…
- Adios Duda, Nickeas and Beato: One thing that has pretty much been a constant with Terry & Sandy’s Mets is, if you don’t perform, you won’t be here. Let’s face it, Duda hasn’t been doing anything for a few weeks now, Nickeas has done nothing all season, and Beato has been horrid. Let’s hope the new guys get the job done, and these three get their acts together in Buffalo.
- Jeremy Hefner: I put Hefner here for his solid performance on Wednesday afternoon. Hef went six innings allowing two runs and striking out seven. It was a quality start against a pretty good Washington team.
- A Beltway Rebirth: Here at 3&3 we loathe giving the opposition any credit at all. That said, you have to like the job the folks in Washington have done with the Nationals. Keep in mind, the Nationals manager quit on them midway through last season, allowing the great Davey Johnson to take over. But not only are the Nationals thriving, their geographic rivals, the Baltimore Orioles are having their best season in years. Wouldn’t a Beltway World Series be wild?! It would be something we’ve never seen!
- Extra Inning Disaster: I have to give the fans a lot of credit for sticking around Monday night through that rain storm. I was wondering if the Mets were trying to save some money by not putting the drying agent on the field. But once again the bullpen put together a sterling effort giving up six runs in the top of the tenth inning. It’s no joking matter. This bullpen stinks. It needs to be fixed ASAP.
- Too Eager At The Plate: When the Mets were playing winning baseball, they show more patience at the plate. They made the opposing pitchers work. What happened to that? The choosiness at the plate worked for the Mets, they need to go back to it.
- More Questions Than Answers: So the Mets sent some guys to Buffalo, and brought some new guys in, but they still didn’t answer any of the questions or concerns fans have. Matt Harvey is here, but is he ready? Will Rob Johnson be more productive than Nickeas? Is Valdespin only a pinch hitting threat and nothing more? Will Ike ever have a multiple hit game at Citi Field? Will the bullpen ever hold a lead? How do we fix the pen? Will Sandy do anything, or does he have vacation plans the last week in July?
Four big games in Arizona this weekend as the Mets go off on a west coast swing. Let’s hope things get back on track, and until than LET’S GO METS!!
Thoughts from Joe D.
One of the most depressing homestands in recent memory. Just plain awful. Even the players are getting on each other and pointing fingers at each other. This is not good. “I don’t think anything can get any worse than this right now,” Josh Thole said. “I can’t wait to get out of here.” He’s right. Get it together guys…
About the Author: Gregg Hopps
Gregg lives on Long Island, and has been a Mets fan since Bud Harrelson and Pete Rose slugged it out in the 1973 playoffs. "Keith Hernandez is the best defensive first baseman to ever have played baseball."
20 Comments + Add Comment
- Pedro: on MMO Fan Shot: Granderson Is In The House… What’s Next?: What would it take to trade for...
- Dirk Diggler: on MMO Fan Shot: Granderson Is In The House… What’s Next?: That's the worst trade proposal I've seen...
- Connor O'Brien: on Rave Reviews From MMO Staff To Curtis Granderson Signing!: Why exactly would Curtis Granderson end up...
- Hotstreak: on MMO Fan Shot: Granderson Is In The House… What’s Next?: Good post JB. I totally agree....
- Mr. Belvedere: on Rave Reviews From MMO Staff To Curtis Granderson Signing!: just like you forget that 2009-2010 never...
MMO Chat: Lets Talk Mets Baseball!
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!