Here’s something that might sound vaguely familiar. According to MetsBlog, David Wright told Ed Coleman of WFAN that he will not discuss a contract extension during the season, but would be willing to discuss a new deal during the off-season.
So let me see if I got this straight…
- A Mets homegrown star spends most of the offseason running his mouth off about wanting to stay with the Mets for the rest of his career.
- The front office basically ignores the homegrown player and says we’ve got plenty of time to talk about a new contract later on in the season.
- The homegrown star becomes one of the National League’s top three players in batting average.
- Rumors begin to circulate that the front office is going to speak to the homegrown star’s agent and that an offer may or may not be in the works.
- The homegrown star says he won’t negotiate a new contract during the season and will not discuss anything until the offseason.
Okay, got it…