Ike Davis Looks Like He’s Returned To Form
During yesterday’s game in Chicago, Davis apologized to plate umpire Manny Gonzalez for inadvertently touching him with his glove in a dispute at first base the night before. Davis was ejected, will be fined and could be suspended for at least a game.
”I just told him I’m sorry for touching him with my glove, and I didn’t mean to touch him,” Davis told reporters in Chicago. “And he said, ‘No worries. I know you weren’t doing it maliciously.’ It was good. He didn’t seem like he was too upset at me. And, obviously, I had forgotten about it.”
In the first couple years of his career, Davis was developing a reputation with the umpires as a complainer. He’s calmed down considerably in that regard, and yesterday was a positive step.
Gonzalez missed the call, and hasn’t acknowledged as such. Nonetheless, umpires do appreciate it when a player apologizes. It shows signs of maturity and this could go a long way in helping Davis.
Who knows? The next borderline pitch he might get.
With a three-hit game during Wednesday afternoon’s 17-1 win over the Cubs, Davis finally climbed over the .200 mark for the season at .201.
“He has hit the ball very well, especially the last 10 games,” said Mets manager Terry Collins.
Davis blasted a three-run homer in yesterday’s Mets slugfest. A return to form would do wonders for the Mets chances at that wild card in the second half.
About the Author: John Delcos
I am an active member of the BBWAA and have covered Major League Baseball in several capacities for over 20 years, including ten in New York working the Mets' and Yankees' beat. I covered the Baltimore Orioles for eight years and the Cleveland Indians before that. I currently serve as an editor and senior staff writer for Mets Merized Online. Follow me on Twitter @jdelcos.
23 Comments + Add Comment
- Heybatter: on Mets and Braves Suspended After Eight Tied 5-5, Will Resume Play Saturday: Rice will have to......Edgin pitched one inning...
- DrDooby: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: Shh. And don´t tell them that Alderson...
- DrDooby: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: Satin is the prototype organizational Quad A...
- Sach: on Scout Says No Way Flores Can Play Any Position But First Base: The Mets should have been playing Flores...
- DrDooby: on Scout Says No Way Flores Can Play Any Position But First Base: Since Flores won´t have much trade bait...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!