Bullpen’s Folly: Last Night’s Win Against The Rays Was A Rare Delight
Stephen Guilbert from Mack’s Mets penned an interesting post that pointed out a rare occurence in last night’s 11-2 win against the Tampa Bay Rays. Here’s a small part of it:
Last night, the Mets accomplished a feat that has proved difficult for them in 2012–they played a full nine-inning game in which the bullpen did not surrender an earned run and the defense did not commit an error.
It has only happened 15 times in 62 games in 2012. The Mets record in those games is 14-1. Here are some more records of note involving the Mets bullpen and defense:
- 37 out of 59 (63%) games the bullpen has allowed a run.
- 24 out of 59 (41%) games the bullpen has allowed two runs or more.
- 32 out of 62 (52%) games the Mets have committed an error.
- 11-26 record when the bullpen allows even just one run (4-8 in April, 5-12 in May, 2-6 in June).
- 4-20 when the bullpen allows 2 or more runs (2-6 in April, 2-10 in May, 0-4 in June).
- 2-14 when the bullpen allows 3 or more runs.
- 6-16 when the bullpen has allowed at least one run and the team has made at least one error (3-7 in April, 2-5 in May, 1-4 in June)
- 14-18 in games in which the Mets have made an error (7-8 in April. 6-6 in May. 1-4 in June)
- 3-9 when the team has committed 2 or more errors.
- 2-12 when Errors+bullpen runs allowed >3 (1-4 in April, 1-6 in May, 0-2 in June).
- 1-8 when the bullpen has allowed at least three runs and an error was committed by the Mets during the ball game.
I always enjoy reading pieces with snippets of information like this one. Stephen gives a great game by game synopsis and a complete analysis as well, so I’d urge you to check out his post in its entirety.
The sad part about this is that we may not see another game like this in weeks. Good defense and effective relief shouldn’t be a rare occurrence for a team that expended almost 100% of its resources this offseason on revamping the bullpen and bringing in defensive-minded players like Andres Torres, Omar Quintanilla and Ronny Cedeno.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
30 Comments + Add Comment
- Lanny: on So Where Are All Those Moneyball Players?: Oh, he led them to 3 world...
- Connor O'Brien: on Mets Need More Time To Get Better Understanding Of Ike Davis?: Terrible overspending. Overvaluing these guys. The owner himself...
- Vinny B: on Mets Need More Time To Get Better Understanding Of Ike Davis?: I just want to clarify, he ranked...
- Vinny B: on Mets Need More Time To Get Better Understanding Of Ike Davis?: Okay, so prove it. You gave...
- Vinny B: on Mets Need More Time To Get Better Understanding Of Ike Davis?: Beckett was coming off a season where...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!