Sandy Alderson was a guest on MLB.com’s The Chatting Cage, hosted by Pete McCarthy. Here were some of the highlights:
- We will do everything we can to keep David Wright once we get into the offseason.
- With respect to a trade, probably not before the All-Star Break, but certainly during that period up through the end of July.
- We will be looking for ways to help the ballclub. It’s very possible we will still need help in the bullpen at that time, but there may be some other areas of need that will emerge, and we will have to address.
- But definitely we expect to be in the race and, if we are, we will be active in the trade market. Superstar type talents cost money and prospects, and as I’ve said before money will not be a problem.
- If we’re in the race we will be buyers and we’ll be active in trying to acquire what the team will need, possibly a shortstop.
- Gavin Cecchini was in the top six of our draft board and we expect him to play shortstop longterm. We didn’t draft him to be a utility player. We expect him to hit and steal some bases. We’ve been following him all year and he was not a compromise selection by no means.