Thole Headed To 15 Day DL With Symptoms Of Concussion
During last night’s 5-3 win over the Phillies, former Met Ty Wigginton barreled into Josh Thole in the bottom of the eighth on a play at the plate. Thole took a jolt to the head from Wigginton’s left shoulder.
Thole held onto the ball, preserving the 2-2 score, but it was a jarring blow to the head and as he tried to rise he went right back down. It is believed the young Mets catcher has suffered a concussion.
After lying still and dazed on the ground by home plate, Thole was finally taken out of the game and went into the dugout under his own power.
He experienced dizziness, headaches and felt hot after the collision and was examined by a Phillies doctor after the game.
Terry Collins said: “He’s hurt. He got hurt. When we got out there, the only thing he could say is, I’m real dizzy. I’m real dizzy.’
An MRI confirmed the strain and assistant GM John Ricco said of putting him on the DL, “these strains can linger. Rather than run the risk of him trying to come back too soon because he sees the team playing short, (we’ll) shut him down, let him recover and get some therapy. We’ll see where we are in 15 days.”
The Mets could call-up one of catchers Rob Johnson or Lucas May from Triple-A Buffalo. Currently, the Mets have Mike Nickeas who can fill in for Thole as well as utility man Vinny Rottino.
This is no doubt a tough break for Thole and the Mets. He was having a solid season for the team batting .287, in 27 games and had made significant improvements defensively behind the plate.
We wish him well and hope doesn’t have to miss more than the prescribed 15 days.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
23 Comments + Add Comment
- alfred: on Mets Offense Comes Up Empty In 4-0 Loss To Reds: Though looking on the bright side Ike...
- Markcomic1: on Choo Could Be Impact Outfielder For Mets In 2014, But Would Cost A Pick: Choo is a nice player but, Citifield...
- alfred: on Mets Offense Comes Up Empty In 4-0 Loss To Reds: Following team sing 67. Most unwatchable...
- Markcomic1: on Power Prospect Cory Vaughn Is On A Mission: I think the smart thing to do...
- RKH: on Choo Could Be Impact Outfielder For Mets In 2014, But Would Cost A Pick: Your comment in the post about it...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!