Jeff Wilpon Says No Urgency On Extending Wright

An article by posted on May 30, 2012

Updated 7:40 PM

The big man upstairs has spoken according to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York:

Chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon, while expressing hope David Wright will be a Met long term, noted there is no urgency since Wright is under the team’s control through the 2013 season.

The comments came a day after GM Sandy Alderson said he did plan to engage Wright’s agents during the season.

“There’s no gun to anybody’s head,” Wilpon said. “So let it just play out. And at the right time Sandy and I will discuss it and it’ll move on.”

Interestingly enough, after the original Brian Costa report in which he said a Mets source confided they were working on a longterm offer for Wright, Sandy Alderson has also clarified what was reported this morning by Jon Heyman and simply says he would talk with Wright’s agents at some point this season.

This all sounds eerily similar to how the Reyes negotiations or non-negotiations went down.

Also pay particular attention where Jeff Wilpon says “Sandy AND I” will discuss it.

It’s kind of a far departure from:

“We’ve never interfered with our general managers and have never not let them sign whomever they wanted”.

Wilpon did manage to throw in a few nice words about the farm system saying that the Mets Minor League System is better than people had given it credit for and he praised the club’s depth. “It’s great to see.”

Hey, I guess sometime this past weekend we topped 4,000 followers on Twitter… Thanks!

Original Post 8:00 AM

Sandy Alderson has confirmed to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports that an offer will be made to David Wright during the 2012 season.

“I would expect sometime before the season’s over, we will have a conversation,” Alderson told CBSSports.com.

Neither Alderson nor Mets COO Jeff Wilpon would say when they planned to make the mega-offer to Wright, though Alderson said,

“It’s not an urgent situation for us. He’s not a free agent, and we do have an option (for 2013). And we have other contractual situations we’ve dealt with.”

Earlier this month, Brian Costa of the Wall Street Journal reported that the Mets were quietly preparing a long-term contract extension for Wright, according to a baseball official familiar with the team’s thinking.

“I’m hopeful he’ll be here a long time,” the GM said about Wright.

Given Wright’s injury concerns in the last two seasons, the Mets have taken a cautious approach and have waited to see how his performance would measure up in 2012 before engaging in any kind of negotiations - rightfully so. Wright has responded with a strong start to the season batting .373 with five home runs and 28 RBI.

“We talked about wanting to see how things developed. We’re at the quarter mark,” Alderson pointed out.

While I don’t agree with him, Heyman believes that the Mets will top the $100-million, six-year extension the Nationals completed with Ryan Zimmerman in March.

I don’r believe the Mets will offer more than five guaranteed years for Wright. If there is a sixth year, it most likely would be a team option or a vesting option. I do expect both sides to work things out especially now that the team finds itself in a much more stable and solid financial situation than a year or two ago. You can all expect both Fred Wilpon and Sandy Alderson to be out in front of this especially now that the Mets have been officially awarded the 2013 All Star Game.

About the Author ()

I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction and interact with other passionate Met fans like you. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.

Comments are closed.