It’s Going To Be A Banner Day At Citi Field!
Congratulations to our two lucky winners Billy and Kyle who each won themselves a pair of tickets to Banner Day at Citi Field on Sunday, May 27.
For those of you participating, here are the guidelines from the Mets:
Guidelines for Banner Day:
- Banner Day participants must have tickets to the game
- Participants must check in at the Bullpen Plaza on 126th Street at 37th Avenue
- Registration begins at 10:00 a.m. Space is limited.
- Banners must celebrate the Mets 50th Anniversary, expressing fans’ favorite memories or moments in franchise history
- Banners must be at least 22″ by 28″ in size
- Banners may not contain vulgar or abusive language
- Commercially produced banners are permitted, but banners may not contain commercial messages, web sites or Twitter handles
- Only the fans required to carry each banner will be permitted onto the field, up to a maximum of four.
- The Mets reserve the right to deny access to the field to any banner or person that is deemed inappropriate
Mets Hall of Famers Dwight Gooden and Rusty Staub, and Sports Radio 66 WFAN radio personalities Howie Rose and Evan Roberts will be judges for Banner Day on Sunday, May 27 prior to the 1:10 p.m. Mets-Padres game at Citi Field.
The judges will select three finalists and then fans texting at the ballpark and at home through Twitter and Facebook will decide the winning banner. The grand prize will be a trip for two to 2013 Mets Spring Training in Port St. Lucie.
The revival of Banner Day is part of the Mets season-long 50th anniversary celebration that includes a commemorative logo and redesigned uniforms, the launch of the Mets50.com and the Mets 50th Anniversary Alumni Bobblehead Series.
I asked some of our writers how they felt about the return of Banner Day and here is what they said:
Joe Spector - I enjoyed watching Banner Day as a child and it’s one of the few things that separated us as Met fans from everyone else.
XtreemIcon – I’m glad it’s back, but I’m not sure how much faith I have in humanity as far as some of the messages on the signs.
Gregg Hopps- I’m thrilled Banner Day is back. I marched in one back in 1988 and it was just a thrill. Banner Day never should have disappeared, and I just hope SNY does the parade of banners justice.
Jessep - Honestly, it has no effect on me. For those that enjoyed it, I hope they enjoy the 2012 version.
Joe D. – Personally, I’m glad to see it back especially in a season where we celebrate fifty years of Mets baseball. Banner Day was a big part of all those years and I’m happy a new generation of Mets fans can enjoy it.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
2 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 05/18/2013
- Hotstreak: on Juan Lagares Belts First MLB Homer In Mets 4-3 Comeback Win: Nice win and John; excellant wrap up....
- RandomGuy: on Juan Lagares Belts First MLB Homer In Mets 4-3 Comeback Win: It's crazy, guy worked forever to try...
- RandomGuy: on Juan Lagares Belts First MLB Homer In Mets 4-3 Comeback Win: Looks like the "They Said It" section,...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Rafael Montero Promoted To Las Vegas: LOL
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Juan Lagares Belts First MLB Homer In Mets 4-3 Comeback Win: Scott Rices destiny under Collins is replacing...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!