The Mets hooked up with new and, dare we say improved Pittsburgh Pirates for a three game set this week. The hallmark of these three games was just outstanding pitching by both teams. The Mets win the series taking two of three, and here are the 3 & 3.
- R.A. Dickey: R.A. Dickey pitched a gem on Tuesday night, going 7 innings giving up only one run, and striking out eleven Bucs. A really nice job by Dickey, who is having an All Star type season.
- Jon Niese: Thankfully 3 & 3 was on vacation during the Mets trip to Toronto. Last Friday night Niese got shelled by the Blue Jays. On Wednesday, Niese was on top of his game going 7.2 innings and allowing only one run. Nice rebound.
- Nieuwenhuis-Baxter: On Tuesday night we got a glimpse of young guys playing some good old fashioned small ball. In the 8th inning Mike Baxter scored the go ahead on a Lucas Duda RBI single. A short while later Captain Kirk scored an insurance run thanks to an error by the Pirate’s third baseman. These guys, Duda included, keyed the victory for the Mets.
- Nieuwenhuis-Baxter: It’s rare enough when we have one player who is both an “up” and a “down”, but a two player tandem, is rare indeed. 8th inning Monday night, Pirate’s second baseman Neil Walker hits an easy fly ball to the outfield. Baxter doesn’t hear Nieuwenhuis calling him off, Nieuwenhuis misplays the ball, and Walker winds up at third, and score the eventual game winning run. A plus here, SNY did a great job showing Terry Collins with his arm around Baxter after the play.
- James McDonald: Tuesday night’s starter for the Pirates was outstanding, giving up only one run in 7.1 innings. As Met fans, that’s a “down” for us.
- Johan’s Wasted Effort: Another nice outing by Santana went to waste on Monday night, when the Mets allowed 5 unanswered runs. Johan has been pitching into tough luck so far this season.
The Mets return home for a four game weekend series with the Padres. They’ll also be giving away baseball caps, and Rusty Staub bobble head dolls this weekend. LGM!!