Video: Pelfrey To Have Tommy John Surgery
(Video courtesy of SNY)
Mike Pelfrey will undergo Tommy John Surgery on his right elbow, and miss the remainder of the season.
His recovery and return could be anywhere between 12 and 18 months depending on how the elbow responds and any potential setbacks. Pelfrey does have youth on his side which could bode well for him.
Pelfrey was placed on the 15-day disabled list yesterday after an MRI revealed swelling in his right elbow on Tuesday.
Andy Martino of the Daily News later reported that Pelfrey’s MRI was sent to Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Alabama for a second opinion. But now he’ll fly down to see Dr. Andrews tomorrow and have the surgery to repair the UCL in his elbow.
Today I responded to a MMO Mailbag question that asked:
Have we seen the last of Mike Pelfrey?
Difficult to say right now because his diagnosis and treatment has yet to be determined. If Pelfrey can avoid surgery I’m certain he will be back. But if it’s determined that he will need surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right elbow, then Pelfrey may have pitched his last game for the Mets. Pelf is owed $5.8 million for this season and has one more year of arbitration left. Under the rules of the CBA he cannot be tendered less than 80% of his current salary if the Mets want to bring him back. That would mean paying him $4.6 million without any guarantee that he will be back before August of next season. He would most definitely be non-tendered after this season, making him a free agent that Scott Boras will showcase whenever he is throwing off a mound again.
Tough break for Pelf…
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
69 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 05/18/2013
- Dave In Spain: on Mets GM Tells Ike Davis He Has Until End Of Month To Turn Slump Around: Hey BBLB. I don´t remember, but it´s...
- Tommy2cat: on Minors Wrap-Up: Brown/Rodriguez Fill Up Stat Sheet, Cuan Dominant: Nice to see Andrew Brown didn't go...
- METS62FAN: on Injury Update: Wheeler To Rejoin Las Vegas Rotation Next Wednesday: MARK, AFTER 50+ YRS AS A MET...
- gary s: on Mets Appealing Harvey Earned Run, Want Tejada Charged With Error: The tragic is back.Everything about this team...
- Judge Holden: on Mets GM Tells Ike Davis He Has Until End Of Month To Turn Slump Around: Also, based on some of his comments,...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!