Video: Pelfrey To Have Tommy John Surgery
(Video courtesy of SNY)
Mike Pelfrey will undergo Tommy John Surgery on his right elbow, and miss the remainder of the season.
His recovery and return could be anywhere between 12 and 18 months depending on how the elbow responds and any potential setbacks. Pelfrey does have youth on his side which could bode well for him.
Pelfrey was placed on the 15-day disabled list yesterday after an MRI revealed swelling in his right elbow on Tuesday.
Andy Martino of the Daily News later reported that Pelfrey’s MRI was sent to Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Alabama for a second opinion. But now he’ll fly down to see Dr. Andrews tomorrow and have the surgery to repair the UCL in his elbow.
Today I responded to a MMO Mailbag question that asked:
Have we seen the last of Mike Pelfrey?
Difficult to say right now because his diagnosis and treatment has yet to be determined. If Pelfrey can avoid surgery I’m certain he will be back. But if it’s determined that he will need surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right elbow, then Pelfrey may have pitched his last game for the Mets. Pelf is owed $5.8 million for this season and has one more year of arbitration left. Under the rules of the CBA he cannot be tendered less than 80% of his current salary if the Mets want to bring him back. That would mean paying him $4.6 million without any guarantee that he will be back before August of next season. He would most definitely be non-tendered after this season, making him a free agent that Scott Boras will showcase whenever he is throwing off a mound again.
Tough break for Pelf…
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
69 Comments + Add Comment
- I Like the Wilpons: on Ike Davis Update: Brewers Still Unwilling To Part With Tyler Thornburg: If they can't get back exactly who...
- TRS86: on Ike Davis Update: Brewers Still Unwilling To Part With Tyler Thornburg: I know it's a thought that you...
- metfanlou: on Ike Davis Update: Brewers Still Unwilling To Part With Tyler Thornburg: I tend to agree but the Brewers...
- (Somewhat less) Disappointed and cheated so far ...: on I’d Be Fine With Giving Ruben Tejada Another Chance – And A Short Leash: In this case, the PTBNL better be...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Ike Davis Update: Brewers Still Unwilling To Part With Tyler Thornburg: Sandy: be patient fans...there are ups and...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!