Torres Will Be Everyday CF Upon Return, Back To Buffalo For Nieuwenhuis
Terry Collins raised some eyebrows before tonight’s game when he told reporters that once Andres Torres returns from the DL, the plan is as follows:
1) Andres Torres is immediately reinstated as the everyday centerfielder
2) Kirk Nieuwenhuis will go back to Buffalo and not remain in a reserve role.
Looks like Mike Baxter’s job is very secure.
Original Post 4/14
Here’s a beautiful shot from our new photo partners of center fielder Kirk Nieuwenhuis making a sensational leap and grab off the bat of Brian Schneider in today’s 5-0 win over the Phillies. You can click it to enlarge.
Here’s a question to ponder…
What do we do with Kirk Nieuwenhuis once Andres Torres comes off the DL and expects to reclaim his spot in center field?
Do we Wally Pipp him, or does Captain Kirk get beamed up to Buffalo?
Nieuwenhuis is batting .294 with a .368 on-base and .471 slugging in seven games with the Mets. He looks cool as a cucumber at the plate, and you all see how well he’s handling himself in center…
You cant keep him on the Mets unless he starts and gets regular at-bats, so should he stay or should he go?
I’m thinking we should send Torres to the bench as our 4th outfielder, and waive goodbye to Mike Baxter.
I really have zero interest in sending Nieuwenhuis back to Buffalo, especially if he continues to perform like this.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
33 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 05/18/2013
- METS62FAN: on Injury Update: Wheeler To Rejoin Las Vegas Rotation Next Wednesday: MARK, AFTER 50+ YRS AS A MET...
- gary s: on Mets Appealing Harvey Earned Run, Want Tejada Charged With Error: The tragic is back.Everything about this team...
- Judge Holden: on Mets GM Tells Ike Davis He Has Until End Of Month To Turn Slump Around: Also, based on some of his comments,...
- Judge Holden: on Mets GM Tells Ike Davis He Has Until End Of Month To Turn Slump Around: Great point. As far as I'm concerned,...
- METS62FAN: on Matt Harvey Does It All In Mets 3-2 Win Over Cubs: METSIE,OH AND BTW WHY AREN'T THOSE "SITTING,WASTING"...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!