Time For Prevention and Recovery 2.0
The Mets’ medical staff has been under scrutiny for years, but maybe it is time to re-evaluate the team’s off-season and spring training conditioning programs.
All these suggestions are preventable, and honestly, inexcusable. One or two issues is one thing, but the Mets have seven players ailing since spring training. That doesn’t suggest a team with a handle on things.
Wright, Kirk Niewenhuis, Scott Hairston, and Robert Carson have side muscle injuries. Lucas Duda, Daniel Herrera and Reese Havens have back issues. To be fair, I don’t know what it is like with these injuries in other camps, but seven is an epidemic.
Either the players haven’t been schooled or given the proper conditioning programs, the teaching of such is inadequate, or these guys don’t know what they are doing. When it comes to the body core, flexibility is as important as strength.
When Sandy Alderson and Collins took over last year, they promised a return to basics and fundamentals, and that should include conditioning, too. The Mets aren’t a team that can afford any setbacks, and this shouldn’t be occurring, at least not to this degree.
About the Author: John Delcos
I am an active member of the BBWAA and have covered Major League Baseball in several capacities for over 20 years, including ten in New York working the Mets' and Yankees' beat. I covered the Baltimore Orioles for eight years and the Cleveland Indians before that. I currently serve as an editor and senior staff writer for Mets Merized Online. Follow me on Twitter @jdelcos.
61 Comments + Add Comment
- Henry: on Byrd Homers, Marcum Still Winless, Mets Fall To Reds 4-3: Valdespin was an all-star in the minor...
- Alex68: on Things Spiralling Out Of Control For Ike Davis Offensively And Defensively: Yes. because we are fans of the...
- Henry: on Shin-Soo Choo Could Be Impact Outfielder And Leadoff Man For Mets In 2014: If Wheeler and D'Araud looked really, really...
- Mr North Jersey: on Byrd Homers, Marcum Still Winless, Mets Fall To Reds 4-3: When Byrd hit that HR to tie...
- SaltyGary: on Things Spiralling Out Of Control For Ike Davis Offensively And Defensively: Amen, unfortunately I don't have a answer...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!