Reese Havens To Get Cortisone Shot For Ailing Back
Mets second base prospect Reese Havens hasn’t participated in workouts in over a week due to continued problems with his sore back. Yesterday, manager Terry Collins told reporters that Havens will get a cortisone shot today to try and relieve the stiffness he is experiencing.
“Reese Havens, when he’s healthy, is an outstanding, fun-looking player,” Collins said. “He’s one of those guys you just know the ceiling — if we can get him in the lineup, he’s going to play in the big leagues.”
Havens, 25, has been hampered by side and back issues for the better part of his four professional seasons with the Mets and has been limited to only 213 professional games during that span.
He underwent surgery last year to remove an inch of a rib, which was believed to be the cause of his back problems, and this season was expected to be his chance to shine and secure the second base job for the Mets at some point this season or next.
“It’s been embarrassing,” Havens said. “Everybody has expectations for me, none higher than my own.”
Expectations have always been high for Havens since he was drafted four spots after Ike Davis in the first round in 2008. Two weeks ago, Terry Collins said Havens was the player he was most looking forward to watching in camp. Now, Collins says Havens is “about as down as I’ve seen him.” He said Havens is frustrated, but that he’s frustrated too.
About the Author: Craig Lerner
I'm a data analyst and researcher for a leading news agency who loves life and is hooked on the Mets. I love following the Amateur Draft and have a particular fondness for the Mets Minor Leagues who I follow each day. Give me a cold beer, a summer day, and a Mets game, and I'm good to go.
14 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 05/18/2013
- Dave In Spain: on Mets GM Tells Ike Davis He Has Until End Of Month To Turn Slump Around: ...or because Brown has played the majority...
- Dave In Spain: on Mets GM Tells Ike Davis He Has Until End Of Month To Turn Slump Around: Hey BBLB. I don´t remember, but it´s...
- Tommy2cat: on Minors Wrap-Up: Brown/Rodriguez Fill Up Stat Sheet, Cuan Dominant: Nice to see Andrew Brown didn't go...
- METS62FAN: on Injury Update: Wheeler To Rejoin Las Vegas Rotation Next Wednesday: MARK, AFTER 50+ YRS AS A MET...
- gary s: on Mets Appealing Harvey Earned Run, Want Tejada Charged With Error: The tragic is back.Everything about this team...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!