Mets Notes: Wright, Hairston & Torres Making Progress, den Dekker Called Back

An article by posted on March 23, 2012

The Mets assigned two more players to minor league camp Friday morning according to Adam Rubin. Infielder Josh Satin and right-hander Fernando Cabrera will now join left-handed reliever Chuck James who was also reassigned to the minors after yesterday’s game.

However this morning, Me3ts prospect Matt den Dekker has officially returned to major league camp. The move was prompted because of injuries to Andres Torres and Scott Hairston. As of this morning the Mets now have 38 players in camp.

There are now 37 players in major league camp.

Several players sidelined with injuries are making some progress and nearing a return to normal spring training activities and playing in Grapefruit League games.

Scott Hairston, who has been sidelined since the start of Grapefruit League play by a strained left oblique muscle, swung a bat 40 times on Thursday and later said that he was fit to continue ramping up his activities. He will be hitting off a tee today and it is now hopeful that he will avoid the DL and be ready for Opening Day.

“It went well,” Hairston said about Thursday’s dry swings. “I took about 40 swings and don’t feel any pain at all.”

Andres Torres is also progressing well and told reporters that his calf injury is improving and that he could be back soon. However, there are still no plans for him to run just yet. The Mets center fielder left the game on Tuesday with a calf strain, and has not played since.

Third baseman David Wright (remember him?) took batting practice yesterday for the first time since receiving a cortisone shot last week for an abdominal tear. Terry Collins told reporters that he expects Wright to “continue taking batting practice” and “perform light drills” for the next few days, after which he could play in his first Grapefruit League game at some point early next week.

Finally, Tim Byrdak, who underwent surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his knee last week, said he will begin playing catch tomorrow and hopes to get back on the mound sometime next week. It was initially reported that the left-hander would miss up to six weeks.

That’s all for now….

About the Author ()

I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction and interact with other passionate Met fans like you. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.

Comments are closed.