Judge Deals A Jarring Blow To Mets Defense
On Wednesday, the Mets owners were dealt a jarring blow to their defense when Judge Jed S. Rakoff ruled that Fred Wilpon and Saul Katz must prove that they were not “willfully blind” to Madoff’s scheme.
The burden of proof will not be on Irving Picard, but instead it’s on the Mets owners who have to convince a jury that they acted in good faith.
The ruling comes eight days after Rakoff allowed the case to proceed to trial.
Earlier this month, Rakoff had already ruled that the Wilpons will owe Picard up to $83 million for fictitious profits earned, with another $303 million in principal at stake during the trial which is set to begin with jury selection on Monday.
Once a jury is chosen, both sides will be allowed to present a 45-minute opening argument. Judge Rakoff has said that the trial will last 10 business days.
Strap yourselves in, this ride could get a little bumpy.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
47 Comments + Add Comment
- I Like the Wilpons: on MMO Fan Shot: Time For Mets To Be Bold And Sign Robinson Cano: A Bobby Bonilla apologist, ladies and grentlemen!...
- oleosmirf: on Stay Patient and Continue To Trust Sandy: I could care less about David Wright's...
- Alex68: on Mets Extend A Three-Year Offer To Granderson: Metsfan62, it's your prerogative to point out...
- Matt Balasis: on Mets Extend A Three-Year Offer To Granderson: They are both 30. They have played...
- Andrew: on Mets Extend A Three-Year Offer To Granderson: Please make this happen Sandy. I'd give...
MMO Chat: Lets Talk Mets Baseball!
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!