It Is Time To Do Something About Mike Pelfrey
I mentioned in my introduction post that the Mets might want to consider moving Mike Pelfrey to the bullpen. Now I am saying that it is time that they do something. It’s become increasingly difficult to rely on him in the starting rotation.
One thing the Mets may want to try is to move him to the bullpen. Give him the long-relief role, that way he can still eat innings for the Mets. In most long relief situations, he would be entering the game with a sizable lead or with the team down. That would likely take some pressure off of him and allow him to just focus on pitching.
Another idea is to send him down to the minors, if he would accept it. Hopefully, he won’t pull an Oliver Perez.
Sending a struggling pitcher down to the minors has worked before for the Mets. Remember Steve Trachsel? He did very well after returning from that minor league assignment.
It’s definitely worth a try in my opinion. Plus, even if it doesn’t work out, during the time Pelfrey is down, that gives the Mets space on the roster to have another pitcher, one who isn’t struggling.
Of course we can simply give up on him completely, but I don’t suggest that just yet. They can try to trade him and see what teams will give up for him.
I think the Mets should at least try to explore the possibility of sending Pelfrey to Buffalo to work on things. If he’s as talented as everyone says he is, he probably won’t be there long. And it could be great for his confidence.
About the Author: Tyler Moore
Tyler is a lifelong Mets fan and tries to attend a few Mets games each season. Among the most notable games he's attended are Mike Piazza's first game in 1998, Todd Pratt's postseason homer game in 1999, and Mike Piazza's last game as a Met in 2005. He's been blogging about the Mets since 2009. He also Co-Created and Co-Hosts the Mets Madness Podcast.
56 Comments + Add Comment
- Connor O'Brien: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: Whatever. It doesn't matter if I convince...
- sarge69: on Cowgill and Nieuwenhuis Continue to Struggle in Minors: Agree with you paradise, Den Decker has...
- Metsie: on Collins Pulled Hefner Because He Was Excited For Him: So basically Collins pulled him because he...
- wjessereid: on Summer Clearance: Possible Trade Strategies For The Mets: I'd rather have two position players ...
- Metsie: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: SO which is it Connor he was...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!