Edgin Making A Case For Opening Day Roster
According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, left-handed reliever Garrett Olson is the front-runner to replace the injured Tim Byrdak who is expected to miss at least the first two weeks of the season.
Byrdak underwent surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his knee last week, and afterward the team announced the lefty specialist would miss about six weeks.
Another possibility to replace Byrdak is Double-A prospect Josh Edgin. Yesterday during an appearance on WFAN, Terry Collins said the young left-hander stands a good chance of making the Opening Day roster.
Edgin is a hard thrower whose fastball regularly clocks in at 95 mph. He’s coming off a solid 2011 campaign and has caught the attention of the Mets in a big way.
“Number one, you like his arm, but I really like his demeanor, his presence and poise,” said Mets pitching coach Dan Warthen. “He’s throwing the ball great and using all his pitches.
“All the things I had heard about him has come to fruition. He seems to be fearless and a left-handed plus arm. I like that.”
Edgin was not originally invited to major league camp, but once Byrdak went down and the Mets considered their options, he quickly found his way onto the Mets radar screen. ”We took a look at him and said, ‘My gosh, why isn’t he over here?’”
Last season, Edgin struck out 28 of the 77 left-handed batters he faced and in 100 2/3 career innings he has struck out 122 batters.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
32 Comments + Add Comment
- Major Mangu: on MMO Exclusive: A Look Inside The Mets Dominican Complex: the baseball academy Beltran set up is...
- Henry: on It’s Not The Approach That’s The Mets’ Problem, It’s The Execution: Nah. Pedro had great control. They took...
- Padilla: on It’s Not The Approach That’s The Mets’ Problem, It’s The Execution: The guy is defending the failures of...
- taskmaster4450: on If Zack Wheeler Is In, Then Who’s Out?: That isnt only a business decision but...
- Metsie: on It’s Not The Approach That’s The Mets’ Problem, It’s The Execution: Even if such a philosophy COULD work... The...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!