Wright Hopeful For A Return To His Former Glory

An article by posted on February 15, 2012

Nice article by Dan Martin of the Post who writes that Mets third baseman David Wright would like to avoid many of the things that happened to him last year, and that the broken back that limited him to 104 games and a .254 average last season, now feels good.

“My back feels real good,” Wright said Wednesday. “It was important that I got through a whole offseason to kind of strengthen it. When you get halfway or three-quarters of the way through the season, it’s tough to build up that area. This offseason allowed me to build up the muscles around the bone that fractured.”

He said he doesn’t expect it to be an issue going forward.

“I feel strong,” said Wright, who added he has not had to have any follow-ups with back specialists since he was cleared to play last season. Instead, the training staff keeps tabs on him. “It’s just an extra couple of minutes a day when I’m doing my [workout] routine.”

Wright said he wants to become more of a complete hitter and that he is looking forward spraying the ball more and making more contact.

I’ve had the feeling that one of the driving forces for the decision to move in the fences at Citi Field, was to help David Wright get back to driving the ball as he did from 2006-2008.

The cavernous Citi Field led Wright to some bad habits and an alarming increase in strikeouts. I feel confident that we’ll see a new and invigorated Wright in 2012.

About the Author ()

Comments are closed.