Recap Of Sandy Alderson Interview On WFAN
This afternoon, Sandy Alderson was a guest of Mike Francesa on WFAN and MetsBlog posted a summary recap.
- Johan Santana will throw off a mound later this week in Port St. Lucie.
- Ike Davis is in “terrific shape” and is ready to go – he will have a positive effect for the team.
- Daniel Murphy will get the opportunity to play second base every day – Justin Turner can play a number of positions on the infield.
- He isn’t sure if Spring Training is enough time to determine if Andres Torres will hit.
- It’s a big year for Josh Thole – it starts with improving defensively as well as his game calling.
- He feels the new fences will help Jason Bay.
- He feels the current rotation is “pretty solid,” if Santana is healthy.
- There isn’t anyone on the roster who doesn’t have something to prove.
- Lucas Duda has big offensive potential.
- He believes the team will be far more interesting to watch than most people anticipate.
- He recognizes the passion of the fans.
- He is worried about the defense, but feels the offense will perform this year.
- He expects to be able to invest money in the major league roster at some point.
For the entire interview, keep checking WFAN.com.
Lots of varying opinions on Alderson’s foray into Twitter. Some are getting a kick out of it, some fans feel as though he’s mocking them, and others simply don’t care.
Where do you stand?
The funniest person on Twitter these days is New York Mets general manager Sandy Alderson. His account @MetsGM – reads like a good parody. Only it’s really him, the actual Mets GM firing tweet after snide tweet at the team that pays him, which makes it a thousand times funnier than satire ever could be.
Gallows humor plays well with the Mets, the biggest disaster in professional sports. They turn 50 this year, and their midlife crisis isn’t one whiled away in the driver’s seat of a Miata. Nor, as much as he’d like to be the case, the one in the car Alderson is driving to Mets spring training. ~ Jeff Passan, Yahoo Sports
I don’t know if this is a smart move by Alderson, too early to tell. But it does support what I said in December that he is now the face of the franchise.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
140 Comments + Add Comment
- Joey D.: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: HI DrD., First off, congratulations. Even though...
- TRS86: on Home Plate Collisions, May Be A Thing Of The Past: Man, who fired Jack Handey?
- TRS86: on Giants Sign Michael Morse To One-Year Deal: And the 1B options continue to dwindle....
- El Sid: on Mets Select Right-Handers Seth Rosin, Jon Velasquez, Could Deal Rosin: He profiles for a guy the Mets...
- the-rock-man: on Mets Select Right-Handers Seth Rosin, Jon Velasquez, Could Deal Rosin: Thats what I was thinking too. ...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!