About the Author: Peter Shapiro
The first time I went to Shea was not for a Mets game, it was for the Beatles concert there in August of '66. My first Met game was '67, a guy named Salty Parker was the interim-manager then. My first pennant race was 1969. As a 12 year-old that summer and fall, I managed to get to the park for 3 games. The first was the beginning of the Miracle which actually started on Tuesday July 8, 1969 with a day game against the Cubs. I was there a lot in '73. I saw games 3 & 5 of the 1973 NL Playoffs against the "Big Red Machine", from the upper deck behind home plate. It was from there that I witnessed the fight between Bud Harrelson and Pete Rose, and the mayhem that ensued. And that sweet victory in game 5! I saw a couple of WS games at Shea that year against that legendary Oakland A's club. I was there in 1985 for every single game Dr. K pitched including his two 16 strikeout performances, and the day he one-hit the Cubs on an infield single and the Mets won 1-0. I loved being a Met fan in those days. Hopefully we are once again preparing to emerge from the darkness.
Leave a comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/19/2013
MMO Mets Chat
- Djmurphy: on Wilmer Flores: It’s Time For Another MLB Debut: This guy is a hitting machine. When...
- Djmurphy: on Wilmer Flores: It’s Time For Another MLB Debut: Trade murph his value has nvr been...
- Fonzie13: on Mateo Had Tommy John Surgery This Week: This sucks. I'm just as high on...
- Russell's Mets: on Marcum Can’t Find Win Column As Mets Fall To Braves 5-3: Now you're just trolling, Giants won...
- Russell's Mets: on Marcum Can’t Find Win Column As Mets Fall To Braves 5-3: a 22 year old playing in low...