Check That, Mets Not Considering Signing Pudge Rodriguez

An article by posted on February 28, 2012

Adam Rubin debunked the Pudge rumor.

Second Mets source adds definitively: “We are not bringing Ivan here.”

So that was fun…

Original Post 7:00 PM

According to Mike Puma of the New York Post, a Mets official spoke with Ivan Rodriguez as recently as 10 days ago, and the team hasn’t ruled out the possibility of signing Rodriguez as a backup to Josh Thole.

Puma adds that before the Mets spend the roughly $2 million they have remaining in the budget, their priority is to ensure Johan Santana is healthy. Otherwise, the remaining money would be allocated toward another starting pitcher.

The Mets official told Rodriguez to “stay in shape,” because anything can still happen.

Last week, Mel Antonen of Sports Illustrated spoke to Pudge who says he’s not done yet. ”I’m talking from my heart. I have a lot left in my tank. I want teams to know I can help them. I know what I can do, and I want them to know too.”

Though not known as a power hitter, Pudge has hit 311 home runs in his career, and his 2,884 hits are second among active players to the Derek Jeter’s 3,088.

Asked if he would sign with a non-contending team in exchange for more at-bats and a better chance at 3,000 hits, Rodriguez paused for a long time before answering.

“I don’t know,” he said. “I’d have to think about that.”

Rodriguez, now 40, appeared in 44 games with the Nationals in 2011 and hit .218 with two home runs and 19 RBI in 124 at bats.

About the Author ()

I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction and interact with other passionate Met fans like you. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.

Comments are closed.