(Updated) More Good News For Fred Wilpon
More good news for Fred Wilpon as Richard Sandomir of the NY Times relays Judge Rakoff’s ruling on Irving Picard’s appeal…
Sandomir adds that Rakoff says trustee “has entirely failed to demonstrate the kind of extraordinary circumstances that would warrant” a pre-trial appeal, and that trial record in case against Mets owners “will inform the very issues the trustee seeks to raise on interlocutory appeal”.
Tuesday’s ruling by Jed S. Rakoff of the U.S. District Court in Manhattan now makes it appear very likely that the case will move to a jury trial that is set to start on March 19.
To win his case, Picard will have to establish at trial that Wilpon and Katz had “willfully blinded” themselves to evidence that Madoff might have been engaged in fraud, a higher legal standard to meet than the one he wanted to pursue in order to prevail against the Mets owners.
It ain’t happening… There is no smoking gun…
Picard’s lawsuit keeps dwindling away as he continues to suffer one legal setback after another.
Update: Howard Megdal pointed me toward a timeline error I had in my original post regarding the Einhorn deal collapse and when it occurred, so I deleted that line.
Also, this from Rich Couthino who validates what I was saying about the potential outcome:
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
31 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/18/2013
- Alex68: on Harvey Flirts With No-Hitter And Ks 13 As Mets Top Braves 4-3: Booty, I doubt it'll happen... the mets...
- Alex68: on Wheeler Deals, Mets Sweep Braves In Nightcap, 6-1: Why am I not surprised about this...
- Bootyclapthunder: on Harvey Flirts With No-Hitter And Ks 13 As Mets Top Braves 4-3: I would imagine they would Alex, clearly...
- Tommy2cat: on Mets Acquire Eric Young Jr. For Collin McHugh, DFA Cowgill and Promote Brown: Good Trade> Okay - for those interested in...
- jdon: on Mets Acquire Eric Young Jr. For Collin McHugh, DFA Cowgill and Promote Brown: McHugh stinks. Young stinks. I...
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!