Sandy Alderson: No Big Trades, No Big Spending, Johan Okay, Needs To Fill Two Bench Spots
Sandy Alderson spoke to reporters this afternoon and Adam Rubin of ESPN New York was kind enough to transcribe most of the details.
- Sandy Alderson said it’s “fair” to say Mets won’t sign anyone who commands more than $1.5 million. Still, Alderson said free agent market should still be “robust” since players who made more than $1.5 million in past now may command less.
- Sandy Alderson on adding more starting pitcher: Our problem is we’ve got 5 guys that we like, five guys that deserve to pitch in a rotation.
- At this point, Sandy Alderson says he is looking to fill out the bench and a last spot in the bullpen. He’s looking at right-handed hitting outfielders and a shortstop who can fill in on a stop-gap basis, in the event someone like Ruben Tejada got injured. “Basically we’re looking to fill out the bench as well as the last spot in the bullpen.”
- Sandy Alderson declines to speak about Mets minority ownership sales, except to say nothing has changed since Christmas party. Alderson said at Christmas party that he expected Mets would have minority investors on board in January.
- Sandy Alderson said Santana should have normal spring training, but you never know until he tries to bounce back from repetitive pitching. Alderson said trainer Ray Ramirez spent 10 days with Johan Santana in Venezuela. Santana about 3 weeks into throwing program.
- Alderson said Mets doing full physicals, including internal medicine, on free-agent signings so there’s longer gap from deal to announcement.
Well, feast on that everybody. Plenty here to discuss.
All in all this was a successful offseason under very extreme circumstances. I give a lot of credit to Alderson who set out to revamp the bullpen and brought in some terrific pieces who have all had some success in the past.
Getting back a healthy Johan Santana will be the key to how the season progresses past March and into April. One thing is certain and that is that the front office are being very cautious which is a departure from how things used to be around here.
I’m glad to see we are finally doing “FULL” physicals before we hand millions to a free agent.
About the Author: Craig Lerner
I'm a data analyst and researcher for a leading news agency who loves life and is hooked on the Mets. I love following the Amateur Draft and have a particular fondness for the Mets Minor Leagues who I follow each day. Give me a cold beer, a summer day, and a Mets game, and I'm good to go.
55 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 05/18/2013
- Metsie: on Is Collins The Blame For Team’s Poor Performance, Or Is He Just The Patsy?: No Sid it doesn't take time....It takes...
- Metsie: on Is Collins The Blame For Team’s Poor Performance, Or Is He Just The Patsy?: It's not public relations Joey... It's an attempt...
- Markcomic1: on Juan Lagares Belts First MLB Homer In Mets 4-3 Comeback Win: Once Wheeler and Montero are promoted Gee...
- Cackletta: on Juan Lagares Belts First MLB Homer In Mets 4-3 Comeback Win: I keep saying this, it should be...
- Hitman: on Rafael Montero To Make Spot Start For Las Vegas: Why would you say that?
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!