Reyes, Pujols or Fielder?
The Eagle has landed. The last of the “big” Mohicans, Prince Fielder, has finally agreed to a mega-deal and now has a new home in Motor City… Rah, rah, or better yet, vroom, vroom…
So now that the dust has settled, here is an interesting question first posed by Mets historian and ESPN New York statistician Mark Simon who asked via Twitter:
Lets look at all three deals up close and personal:
- Jose Reyes - The Miami Marlins signed the 2011 NL Batting Champion to a $106 million, six-year contract.
- Albert Pujols - The Los Angeles Angels signed future Hall of Famer Albert Pujols to a $254 million, ten-year contract.
- Prince Fielder – The Detroit Tigers signed the former Brewers’ mega-star to a $214 million, nine-year contract.
So for all of those Mets fans who were going ballistic or rolling on the floor laughing over the largess of the Jose Reyes deal, which of these three deals would you consider to be the best value and the least volatile in terms of potential for disaster?
Yeah, that’s what I thought too….
Seems to me like the Marlins got themselves a bargain now that all is said and done.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
83 Comments + Add Comment
- Bob Walsh: on Striking Fool’s Gold With Granderson: And being patient leads to better contact...
- Just Some Internet Guy You Dont Know: on MMO Mailbag: Any Chance That Murphy Moves To First Base?: Murphy should stay at 2B and throw...
- Jeru: on Ike Davis Could Be An Ex-Met By End Of Week: "They need to have organizational people who...
- EzRider: on With Hart and LoMo Off The Boards, Plot Thickens For First Base Market: Still like the idea of a Davis...
- Bob Walsh: on Striking Fool’s Gold With Granderson: Wow. Maybe if you had read more...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!