MMO Fair or Foul: Mets Are Wallflowers?
The Mets’ decision to auction off parts of the old walls at Citi Field is getting a lot of attention lately – moreso than the new walls. Check this out…
Because they can’t lure you to the ballpark with a winning team, the Mets will try to lure you with home runs. They’re bringing in the outfield walls at Citi Field to goose scoring, and here’s a question we definitely never pondered: what do you do with the old outfield wall? If you’re a billion dollars in debt, you sell them to fans.
Step right up and meet the official Mets auctions, where timeless relics from Citi Field’s storied three-year history can be yours for the suckering. Place bids on panels from the old, distant outfield, featuring celebrations of the 2006 division title, the 1988 division title, and Wheat Thins. The largest sections of the wall for sale are advertisements — Delta, Verizon — that are nearly 30 feet in length, and oh-by-the-way, the Mets don’t provide delivery.
So if you’d like to relive that time Angel Pagan totally misplayed the ball off the Tristate Lincoln dealers sign in right-center, feel free to pony up the cash. The Wilpons could really, really use it. ~ Deadspin
The bidding on most of these wall panels start at $1,000 in case you’re interested.
Can’t we ever do anything without it being the punchline to a bad joke?
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
11 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/19/2013
MMO Mets Chat
- Jason bay: on Marcum Can’t Find Win Column As Mets Fall To Braves 5-3: But catcher is one of many spots...
- DrDooby: on Last Night We Saw A Big Chunk Of “The Plan”: Sure, even pre Madoff, the Mets did...
- Djmurphy: on Marcum Can’t Find Win Column As Mets Fall To Braves 5-3: They may hav 3 or 4 catching...
- Fonzie13: on The Future Is Here: Six Scoreless In Wheeler’s MLB Debut: They still could've gotten those players to...
- Jason bay: on Marcum Can’t Find Win Column As Mets Fall To Braves 5-3: Well we're certainly not stacked at catcher...
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!