Mets Face A Difficult Start
The team entering spring training without expectations – at least positive ones – face a difficult schedule despite 13 games at Citi Field and ten on the road. That includes everybody in their division, so we’ll have an idea of how they’ll stack up against the NL East.
I looked at their schedule this afternoon and if things play out as expected, they could be done before the weather gets warm. It isn’t hard to imagine interest in the baseball season being done in Flushing before the kids are done with school.
They open with a pair of three-game series at home against the Braves, who always give them a hard time, and the new-and-improved Washington Nationals (80-81 last year), who are talking with Prince Fielder.
Then they have consecutive three-game series at Philly and Atlanta before coming home for four games against San Francisco and three with Miami.
The Nationals and Marlins were sub-.500 last season, but both played the Mets tough and are expected to be better this year, perhaps to the point of wild-card contention.
They close out the month with three at Colorado and one in Houston, places where they have struggled.
Following two more at Houston, the Mets play Arizona, at Philadelphia and Miami, and home to Milwaukee and Cincinnati before May 18.
Think there’s a chance they could be ten games under or more by then? You bet.
It is not productive for a team to look too far ahead, but with all that’s going on with the Mets, it isn’t hard.
About the Author: John Delcos
I am an active member of the BBWAA and have covered Major League Baseball in several capacities for over 20 years, including ten in New York working the Mets' and Yankees' beat. I covered the Baltimore Orioles for eight years and the Cleveland Indians before that.
20 Comments + Add Comment
- Hatt Marvey: on Trading Daniel Murphy Doesn’t Make the Mets Better: It isn't completely wrong, its completely right. Your...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on While Things Are Not Yet Set, Collins Says Lagares Will Be In His Outfield: For what its worth I think Flores...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on While Things Are Not Yet Set, Collins Says Lagares Will Be In His Outfield: This is great and everything......BUT one has...
- Sloatsburg Mets Fan: on While Things Are Not Yet Set, Collins Says Lagares Will Be In His Outfield: Kevin, I know that it's not the position...
- Hatt Marvey: on Trading Daniel Murphy Doesn’t Make the Mets Better: Haha...don't forget Andres Torres & DJ Carrasco
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!