Is Being A Met Fan Like A Greek Tragedy?
David Groveman of Mack’s Mets had an interesting post in which he compares Mets fans to the Greek mythological figure King Sisyphus who was cursed to rolling a huge boulder uphill for eternity.
The tragic fate of this Jerk of a King is similar in many ways to my experience as a Met fan. The Mets begin to climb back into relevance with Mike Piazza. They reach the world series (a year late) and fall to the Yankees. Then… that team starts to crumble. Then… they re-build. They bring in Carlos Beltran and Pedro Martinez and Tom Glavine. They promote Jose Reyes and David Wright… The team makes in to the NLCS and would go onto the World Series… but Yadier Molina… Then… the team starts to crumble. They try to cobble things together to keep that boulder from sliding all the way back down… but nothing works.
Here we are. At the bottom of the hill. The boulder that is the New York Mets is heavy, and reaching the top seems impossibly hard. Perhaps this time will be THE time, and we’ll finally escape the MLB equivalent of Tartarus. Perhaps we’re destined to watch that boulder backslide a few more times. Time will tell.
That might be one of the best analogies of a Met fan I’ve read in quite some time. Nice job, David!
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
21 Comments + Add Comment
- JudgeHolden: on Hot Stove: Red Sox Sign RHP Edward Mujica, Royals Acquire LF Norichika Aoki: "This should be our new slogan: “Don’t...
- jessep: on Hot Stove: Red Sox Sign RHP Edward Mujica, Royals Acquire LF Norichika Aoki: Ah memories... http://metsmerizedonline.com/2013/07/trade-deadline-finding-underrated-talent-in-milwaukee.html
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Nothing Is Imminent: The Story Of Us: Neither....I just dont think a team will...
- MetsWatchman: on Hot Stove: Red Sox Sign RHP Edward Mujica, Royals Acquire LF Norichika Aoki: They blew this one TRS......I would have...
- Joseph: on Words to the Wilpons: We Beg Of You, Sell The Team: The reason is very simple: It's good...
MMO Chat: Lets Talk Mets Baseball!
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!