Red Sox Acquire Andrew Bailey
ESPN.com’s Buster Olney is reporting that A’s closer Andrew Bailey and outfielder Ryan Sweeney have been traded to the Red Sox for right fielder Josh Reddick and two minor leaguers, third baseman Miles Head and right-hander Raul Alcantara.
Bailey, 27, is eligible for arbitration for the first time after making only $465,000 this year, would be under the Red Sox control for the next three seasons.
The 2009 AL Rookie of the Year was raised in New Jersey and posted a 2.18 ERA, 25 saves and a 1.17 WHIP in 45 career appearances last season.
Sweeney, 26, is a left-handed hitter, like Reddick, but has more experience. He batted .265 with one homer, 25 RBI and a .687 OPS last season and is a .283 hitter over parts of six seasons with the White Sox and A’s.
Reddick, 24, batted .280 with seven homers and 28 RBIs in 87 games for Boston in 2011 and can play any outfield spot.
Bailey becomes the fourth pitcher traded by the A’s who already dealt starters Gio Gonzalez and Trevor Cahill, and reliever Craig Breslow.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
6 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 05/19/2013
- TexasGusCC: on Mets Sign RHP David Aardsma To Minors Deal: Is anyone really surprised?
- Timothy: on Mets Only Manage Three Runs Behind Marcum, Lose 4-3: Byrd has done a pretty nice job....
- rob: on Mets Sign RHP David Aardsma To Minors Deal: Look at the bright side If we ever...
- Metsie: on Keep Daniel Murphy In The Leadoff Spot: No Connor but you do seem to...
- El Sid: on Mets Only Manage Three Runs Behind Marcum, Lose 4-3: Marcum kept them in the game. Not...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!