Astonishing Tales: Mets Pursuing Mark Buehrle?
According to Anthony DiComo of Mets.com, the Mets are one of five teams on free-agent pitcher Mark Buehrle’s list of finalists, according to an industry source. The Rangers and Marlins are also on the list.
DiComo also adds that after losing shortstop Jose Reyes to the Marlins, the Mets have $20-25 million to spend on player acquisitions, freeing them up to pursue higher-caliber pitching than they once thought possible.
But, that payroll range includes money needed to pay Pelfrey and Pagan who will earn about $10 million combined. Sandy Alderson has already confirmed that…
Yesterday, Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com said teams were offering Buehrle three-year deals worth about $40 million, and Jon Heyman later said that the first team to give him four years will likely end up signing him.
I’m not understanding the logic here…
Why are the Mets even mentioned in this rumor?
Buehrle is a solid pitcher and a great competitor, but he’s 33 and by the time the Mets are relevant again in 2014, Buehrle will be 36.
And how can the Mets even afford him anyway?
I swear, I think half of these rumors are just so silly and make little sense.
Hat tip to Alex68 for the link.
4:10 PM Update: Sandy Alderson told reporters today that there is no way he will spend all of his remaining money on a free-agent starting pitcher like Mark Buehrle or C.J. Wilson.
Hat tip to Sach for the tip.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
11 Comments + Add Comment
- RandomGuy: on Featured Post: Keep Daniel Murphy In The Leadoff Spot: And stop assuming everyone hates you, or...
- RandomGuy: on Featured Post: Keep Daniel Murphy In The Leadoff Spot: Your question simply has nothing to do...
- Matt Mosher: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: Go ahead and name five better thirdbasemen....
- Matt Mosher: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: Its beyond laughable how many Mets fans...
- Sylow59: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: The Astros: The first year under Dierker the...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!