Lowrie Could Help A Shaky Mets Infield Situation Next Season
According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, the Red Sox could potentialy trade infielder Jed Lowrie this offseason.
Last season, Lowrie posted a .252/.303/.383 slash with six home runs, 14 doubles and 36 RBI in 341 plate appearances.
The knock on Lowrie has been an inability to stay on the field and he always seems to be out with some sort of nagging injuriy. It’s too bad because if he were able to solve his durability issues, you’re talking about a very versatile switch-hitter who can cover all four infield infield positions, and is an especially dangerous batter from the right side of the plate.
Lowrie, 27, has become expendable now that the Red Sox have picked up the option on Marco Scutaro who the team loves and is expected to get the lion’s share of the playing time.
Check out his splits against LHP last season (.330/.353/.523) and you’ll understand why I see him as someone who could help the Mets next season.
From a salary standpoint, he’s cheap and is entering his first year of arbitration. From a trade value standpoint, I can’t see him costing more than a B-Level prospect at best.
He’s certainly worth looking into as an insurance policy for a very shaky Mets infield situation in 2012.
About the Author: Craig Lerner
I'm a data analyst and researcher for a leading news agency who loves life and is hooked on the Mets. I love following the Amateur Draft and have a particular fondness for the Mets Minor Leagues who I follow each day. Give me a cold beer, a summer day, and a Mets game, and I'm good to go.
15 Comments + Add Comment
- L.J.Phipps: on Juan Lagares Heading To New York (Knee): I've opened the window, next step is...
- Kevin: on Mets Drawing The Line At Three Years, Granderson Wants Four: Please give some examples of these magical...
- jason bay: on Mets Drawing The Line At Three Years, Granderson Wants Four: People want Granderson for his age 33,...
- jason bay: on Hot Stove: M’s Offer Cano $240 Million, Red Sox Sign RHP Edward Mujica: I don't think anyone will gine up...
- MetsWatchman: on Hot Stove: M’s Offer Cano $240 Million, Red Sox Sign RHP Edward Mujica: @TPT....I understand how remote the chances are...
MMO Chat: Lets Talk Mets Baseball!
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!