General Manager’s Meetings Recap
The GM Meetings in Milwaukee have wrapped up and here’s a quick summary of a few things we learned:
- Sandy Alderson spoke with representatives for relievers Frank Francisco and Matt Capps this week. Alderson said he was not close to signing anyone, but emphasized he is looking for two relievers who could close and not one. He expects them to battle for closers role with loser taking over the setup role.
- As Fred Wilpon left the hotel for the airport, he was asked by a reporter if it was important for his team to re-sign Jose Reyes? According to the Daily News the Mets owner laughed and said, “What kind of question is that?” Hmmm. Seemed like a good question to me.
- Speaking of Fred, the Mets have commitments from investors to buy roughly seven shares of the franchise at $20MM apiece, a source tells Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com. That’s about $140MM of the $200MM the Mets were hoping to raise, although Rubin reports the Mets will be content with what they’ve sold so far if no further deals come to fruition.
- With the new CBA to be announced on Monday, Sandy Alderson told reporters that he has been assured that the free agent compensation changes will not affect Jose Reyes this offseason. If the shortstop signs elsewhere, the Mets will still get the signing team’s first or second round pick, plus the sandwich pick.
- The Mets and Colorado Rockies briefly discussed swapping Mike Pelfrey for closer Huston Street, but talks reportedly fizzled because the Mets were not big on Street. The Rockies’ closer took some shots at his former Oakland manager Bob Geren, who is now the Mets bench coach.
- If you’re wondering why there hasn’t been any recent news on the Jose Reyes front or new offers from other teams, it’s not because of a lack of interest. Prior to the start of the GM Meetings, teams were told that Reyes’ lead agent Peter Greenberg would be out of the country all week, while Jose Reyes is vacationing with his wife in Puerto Rico.
- According to Adam Rubin, a source confirmed the the Mets were informing other teams at the GM Meetings that infielder Daniel Murphy is available. That’s going to be something to watch this offseason, so don’t go buying those Murphy jerseys just yet.
- Alderson told reporters that these GM Meetings are not as useful as in the past. “I actually think the next couple weeks will provide a better platform for the winter meetings, because there is a better opportunity for a confidential interchange over the phone, as opposed to a small lobby setting such as this.”
That’s about it, folks.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
64 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/18/2013
- Metro12: on Wheeler Deals, Mets Sweep Braves In Nightcap, 6-1: Congrats to Wheeler! Not a bad...
- TexasGusCC: on Mets Acquire Eric Young Jr. For Collin McHugh, DFA Cowgill and Promote Brown: Good move! There I said it....
- RandomGuy: on Wheeler Deals, Mets Sweep Braves In Nightcap, 6-1: And you keep Murphy at first? Duda...
- XtreemIcon: on Wheeler Deals, Mets Sweep Braves In Nightcap, 6-1: Scouts don't lie. Maybe they get it...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Wheeler Deals, Mets Sweep Braves In Nightcap, 6-1: Second base of course...Mets have a free...
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!