A Look At “Unbreakable” Records: Nolan Ryan’s 7 No-Hitters
Nolan Ryan impressed Major League Baseball fans in more ways than one. Was it because he was throwing a mid- 90s fastball while he was 46 years old? Yeah. Was it because of his 324 wins, 3.19 career ERA, and MLB record 5,714 strikeouts? Hell yeah. The most impressive part of Nolan Ryan’s MLB career was his seven no-hitters, another record. How hard is it to throw a no-hitter? Let’s put it into perspective by looking at the 2000 season to the 2009 season.
During this time, 162 games were played by each team, each year, which equals approximately 48,600 games over that ten-year span. During that time period, 20 no-hitters were thrown. For all of you stat freaks out there, that means that between 2000 and 2009, only .0412% of games included a no-hitter. That’s pretty insane. Only 19 active pitchers have thrown a no-hitter, with Roy Halladay, Justin Verlander, and Mark Buehrle being the ones that have thrown two.
The pitchers who have three or more career no-hitters are as follows:
- Nolan Ryan: 7
- Sand Koufax: 4
- Larry Corcoran: 3
- Bob Feller: 3
- Cy Young: 3
This is a very exclusive club, much more so than most offensive categories. Records set for hits, home runs, RBI, walks, etc. are much different than throwing a no-hitter because hitters have more than one opportunity to build up their totals. Whereas for pitchers, they have to continue to dominate the opposition and not allow any hits for all nine innings and 27 outs. That’s really hard to do and the fact that Nolan Ryan did this seven times is a feat that I don’t think will ever be matched.
About the Author: Former Writers
5 Comments + Add Comment
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on The Next Japanese Phenom: Shohei Otani: The Yakuza visited his parents??? lol
- Metstheory22: on MLB Scout On Davis: Would Have Been Better Served Going To Minors Last Season: Right now, Ike is making everyelse look...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on The Next Japanese Phenom: Shohei Otani: Not true...Hisanori Takahashi was very good for...
- Matt Mosher: on Mets Are Ten Games Below .500 – It’s Starting To Feel Like 1978: The St Louis Cardinals are a machine...
- Matt Mosher: on Mets Are Ten Games Below .500 – It’s Starting To Feel Like 1978: I've been a Mets fan since 1984....
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!