Congratulations To The Cards, Now Bring On The Hot Stove
The St. Louis Cardinals are the 2011 World Series Champions after beating the Texas Rangers 6-2 in Game 7 on Friday night.
After overtaking Atlanta on the last day of the regular season, the Cards knocked out the 102-win Phillies in the NLDS and then the Brewers in the NLCS. It was the Cardinals’ first championship since 2006, and gave La Russa his third World Series title.
“It’s hard to explain how this happened,” Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said.
Texas was one strike away from its first championship on two occasions in Game 6, only to have the Cardinals come back and force a Game 7 on Freese’s walkoff homer in the 11th inning.
Freese, who was named World Series MVP, knocked in a pair of runs in game seven and batted .348 for the series, with seven RBIs, three doubles and one big homer. Freese also drove in 21 runs during the postseason, shattering the previous record.
It was a heck of a series…
The Mets hot stove season now begins in earnest and Jose Reyes can file for free agency tonight. Sandy Alderson has until 11:59 PM ET on Wednesday night to exclusively negotiate with the NL Batting Champion, but trust me, I doubt they’ll even make an offer. Matt Cerrone of MetsBlog heard from team sources that the Mets will only offer Reyes, 28, no more than a four year deal between $60 and $80 million. Four years? Really? Three months after trading the greatest center fielder in franchise history, the Mets will now do the same with their best shortstop ever and one of the greatest homegrown talents they have ever developed.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
16 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/18/2013
- El Sid: on Mets Super Tuesday Preview: Harvey and Wheeler Headline Today’s Double-Dip: 4IP 2H 0ER 4BB 6K Nice so far...
- Brian Young: on Mets Super Tuesday Preview: Harvey and Wheeler Headline Today’s Double-Dip: Did Bobby Ojeda play the guy? Doesn't...
- Russell Zanca: on Mets Super Tuesday Preview: Harvey and Wheeler Headline Today’s Double-Dip: Yes, here's another vote for restoration of...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Mets Super Tuesday Preview: Harvey and Wheeler Headline Today’s Double-Dip: Wheeler needs to start throwing some strikes...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Mets Super Tuesday Preview: Harvey and Wheeler Headline Today’s Double-Dip: The shoutbox is located at the MetsMinors...
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!