Doctors Confirm Ike Davis Will Avoid Surgery
Adam Rubin reports that doctors have confirmed that Ike Davis will avoid micro-fracture surgery on his ankle.
The plan is to continue resting and rehabbing the ankle throughout the offseason so that he will be ready to go come Spring Training.
Original Post 9/6
Mets first baseman Ike Davis told reporters on Monday, that he will avoid microfracture surgery to repair a bone bruise in his left ankle, which has kept him sidelined since May. Davis said that after resting for much of August, he has ramped up his workout regimen with no ill effects.
“Right now, all we can do is try to do the best thing for my career,” he said. “The best thing is not to have surgery right now. If it stays like this, I won’t have to. The last two weeks, I’ve been really pushing it, and it’s stayed pretty consistent. It hasn’t gotten worse, like in the past.”
Though he still has some pain, Davis is confident that team doctors will be clear him after he meets with them this week in New York.
“It’s not 100 percent, but it’s at the point right now where I’m moving around pretty well and can do basically about everything, so, still a little tight and some things in there that maybe in more time, it might heal. Right now, the reason we’re not going to have surgery is because I don’t think it’s going to be beneficial. Obviously it’s not ruled out, but as of right now, it looks pretty good.”
This was a crucial decision for Davis who must now avoid any setbacks. It has already been projected that it would take six months of recovery and rehab if he were to have the surgery, so any setback that would lead to surgery could jeep him from beginning the 2012 season on time.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
14 Comments + Add Comment
- Sloatsburg Mets Fan: on While Things Are Not Yet Set, Collins Says Lagares Will Be In His Outfield: And you now this because you watched...
- Joey D.: on Mets Introduce Curtis Granderson: “True New Yorkers Are Mets Fans”: Hi Hank, Yes, it seems the Mets might...
- Mets Fan in NC: on Hot Stove: Mets Are Not In On Bronson Arroyo: Staying in the season...Arroyo is a HO-HO-RRENDUS...
- Mets Fan in NC: on Granderson Makes Good First Impression, Loves The Direction Of The Mets: Granderson loves the direction 60 million dollars...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Hot Stove: Mets Are Not In On Bronson Arroyo: SAY NO TO ARROYO!!!!
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!