Mets Have Yet To Sign Brandon Nimmo
Jim Callis of Baseball America updated the Mets Top 10 Prospects yesterday to account for some new organizational additions via the First Year Player Draft and the recent trade for Zack Wheeler who is now the Mets #1 Prospect. Here is the rest of them.
1. Zach Wheeler, RHP – A+ Port St. Lucie
2. Matt Harvey, RHP – AA Binghamton
3. Brandon Nimmo, OF – Still Unsigned
4. Jeurys Familia, RHP – AA Binghamton
5. Kirk Nieuwenhuis, OF – AAA Buffalo*
6. Jenrry Mejia, RHP – AAA Buffalo*
7. Cesar Puello, OF – A+ Port St. Lucie
8. Michael Fulmer, RHP - Not Yet Assigned
9. Jordany Valdespin, 2B – AA Binghamton
10. Wilmer Flores, SS – A+ Port St. Lucie
* Out for the season.
Callis said he chose Wheeler over Harvey based purely on upside and not their performance. He dropped Flores from #2 to #10 because scouts are no longer impressed with his bat and nobody sees him as a major league shortstop or third baseman.
The Mets are not close to signing their top pick this year, Brandon Nimmo, who is seeking a $2.5 million contract. The Mets have until August 15th, less than two weeks, to sign him or lose him.
As for the list, the only two Triple-A prospects who were close to being major league ready, are now out for the year after season ending surgeries. That leaves most on this list still years away.
It’s amazing how so many players have appeared on this list and even at #1, and now have fallen off completely. Names like Brad Holt, Alderin Rodriguez and of course Fernando Martinez have all lost their shine.