Mets Bats And Bullpen Stumble In 6-1 Loss To Padres
Jonathon Niese had a decent outing, but the bullpen couldn’t stop the bleeding and the offense offered no support in the Mets 6-1 loss to the Padres
Jonathon Niese had a peculiar outing today, allowing three runs on ten hits in six innings, walking none and striking out three. Niese gave up four of his ten hits in one inning, and as evidenced by the lack of walks and his control pitching to contact, balls got through holes when they shouldn’t have. However, this is a quality start by definition.
The bullpen today was atrocious, as Pedro Beato continued to struggle and keeps hurting his chances to pitch in high leverage situations, giving up two runs on three hits, striking out one and allowing a home run. Mike Pelfrey came out to do some pitching, and gave up a run on two hits in one third of an inning. Only D.J. Carrasco & Tim Byrdak pitched clean frames, and they each pitched one-third of an inning.
This bullpen is looking like it could become revamped with some prospects VERY soon, with Igarashi & Beato struggling. Beato will not be demoted if for no reason but ensuring he will be a Met next season, but Igarashi is not as safe.
The offense didn’t exist today. Four hits just won’t cut it, and Ruben Tejada went 2 for 2 with a walk and an RBI.
No offense to note, Jason Bay stranded three runners and Lucas Duda two
When the Mets managed four hits – that isn’t going to do anything.
In a loss like this, nobody gets a game ball. This is a reality check for the offense, either score some runs or it doesn’t matter how good your starting pitching or bullpen is.
The Mets will look to win the rubber game and will send Dillon Gee to the mound against Matt Latos. Game time is 6:35 EST, a welcome change for us east coast fans and recappers who have work in the early morning.
About the Author: Former Writers
24 Comments + Add Comment
- Jeru: on Mets Will Meet With Agents For John Axford and Kevin Gregg: http://metsmerizedonline.com/2013/07/featured-post-the-case-for-not-trading-bobby-parnell.html I was advocate for trading Bobby100
- doekie: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: Perhaps CYoung plays great, gets a great...
- Jeru: on Mets Sign Bartolo Colon To Two-Year, $20 Million Deal: ummm, we spent 32 million this off-season...
- Teddy Klein: on Mets Will Meet With Agents For John Axford and Kevin Gregg: …in fantasy land. BTW, hit the button "Reply"
- Teddy Klein: on Mets Will Meet With Agents For John Axford and Kevin Gregg: If you put murphy at 1B, Put...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!