From Left Field: Mets Have Knack For Making No-Name Pitchers Look Great
So Steve Carlton picked up the win last night for the Philadelphia Phillies…
Actually, it was rookie Vance Worley, throwing a Carlton-like game, who picked up the win.
During their history, the Mets always seem to have a knack for losing to no-name pitchers.
Granted, Worley is on fire right now, but there’s no reason why this rookie, who was only supposed to tread water in the Phillies All-Star rotation, should have beaten the Mets three out of four times this season.
Of course, never facing a pitcher puts the hitters at a disadvantage. However, Major League hitters should be able to adjust to an unrefined kid just up from the minors.
But then there’s the Mets.
It seems that every time they face someone new, they falter. Jason Jennings, Brandon Webb and Tyler Clippard are the classic examples from the past 15 years, but there are tons of other pitchers who won their big league debut against the Mets.
It’s funny: The team had great success against Randy Johnson and Roger Clemens yet can’t beat Vance Worley.
The problem with Worley is that the Mets have now seen him four times, and for the majority of the time he’s made them look lost at the plate.
That should be the case against Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Roy Oswalt and Cole Hamels, but definitely not against Worley. Great, now that Phillies have five aces.
Worley became only the second rookie pitcher since 1869 in which his team has won 12 straight games in which he has started.
I guess Worley is just another reason to hate the Phillies.
About the Author: Jim Mancari
Jim Mancari hails from Massapequa, N.Y. He recently earned a Master's degree in Journalism at Hofstra University. He is a devout Mets fan and takes pride in his team, despite their lack of success over the last few years. Like all Mets fans, Jim has plenty of hope. He also writes as the sports reporter for the Brooklyn Tablet newspaper and the senior editor of metroBASEBALL Magazine. Click my name to view my personal website.
3 Comments + Add Comment
- Zechy68: on Choo Could Be Impact Outfielder For Mets In 2014, But Would Cost A Pick: What about Corey Hart, I know he's...
- Major Mofongo: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: and it is hilarious that u pull...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: Never said he was a problem? If...
- taskmaster4450: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: Wright is a star, not a superstar....
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: Yeah if Headley has another season like...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!