New York Mets Paying for Their Old Mistakes
Yesterday, on July 1st, the Bobby Bonilla received a check in the mail from the New York Mets. The 48 year old received $1,193,248. This is just the first of 25 checks that Bonilla will receive from the team every year on July 1st.
The story of why Bonilla is receiving checks from the Mets is fairly well known. With the 1999 season finished, Bonilla had just one year left on his deal. The Mets owed him $5.9 million.
GM Steve Phillips and owner Fred Wilpon determined that Bonilla was not worth $5.9 million. He definitely wasn’t as in 1999 he posted a horrendous -1.2 WAR.
To put that in perspective, his season was worse than Oliver Perez’s 2010 campaign when he went 0-5 with a 6.80 ERA. Perez posted a slightly better -1.1 WAR that year.
So instead of just buying out Bonilla for $5.9 million that year, the Mets got creative. The team worked out a deal with Bonilla where he would be paid the $5.9 million would be deferred and the Mets would begin to pay him in 2011. The Mets would pay him back over the course of five years.
The two sides agreed to a generous 8% interest rate at the time. As a result, the $5.9 million that the Mets owed to Bonilla will turn into $29,831,205. A 73-year-old Bonilla will receive his last check from the Mets organization in 2035.
Mets fans will unfortunately be reminded about this deal for years to come.
About the Author: Robert Knapel
Robert is from New Jersey. He is currently pursuing Bachelors degrees in both Finance and International Business at Washington University in St. Louis. He has been a Mets fan for as long as he can remember. Robert also serves as an MLB Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report.
13 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 05/18/2013
- Jerseymet: on MLB Revenue Trends vs Payroll, and How the Mets Fit In: I understand Greed. Loria ...
- wasadeyo: on Rafael Montero To Make Spot Start For Las Vegas: Puello, Vaughn I have been waiting for...
- Jerseymet: on Featured Post: If At First You Don’t Succeed, Try Again In The Minors: Just like last year. He needs...
- StearnsDude: on Featured Post: If At First You Don’t Succeed, Try Again In The Minors: Demotion is long overdue. Besides being an...
- Joe D: on Our Savior Has Arrived!: It's gotta be the beard, ya gotta...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!