Is Bringing Santana Back This Season Worth The Risk?
Johan Santana threw a bullpen session today at Sun Lite Stadium in front of Terry Collins, John Debus, and Randy Niemann.
According to the NY Times, Santana said he felt good after throwing 45 pitches in the bullpen Sunday morning, paving the way for him to begin pitching in minor-league rehabilitation games.
If Santana’s surgically repaired left shoulder feels fine Monday, it is likely he will pitch in a minor-league game Wednesday.
“That’s what we’re looking for,” Santana said. “As of right now, it’s a wait-and-see mode. We’ll see how it is tomorrow and go from there.”
Right now, the Mets are not gaining any ground on the Braves in the NL Wild Card standings. With the loss last night against the Marlins, the Mets are still 8 1/2 games back of the Braves for the final spot in the postseason. As the Mets continue to gain no ground whatsoever on the Wild Card race, is it really worth bringing Santana back this season?
It’s great to see Johan doing well in his rehab, and I am impressed with how the Mets have handled his rehab, but at the same time the Mets smight want to play it safe and take a more conservative approach with the left-hander.
It would be better for him to continue rehabbing his arm and then come back fully healthy in 2012.
Who needs Johan to return this season and run the risk of him getting injured again?
What are your thoughts?
Would you bring Johan Santana back this season?
Do you think the Mets are doing the right thing by bringing him back to pitch this season?
About the Author: Brandon Butler
Brandon is currently a MMO Minor League Staff Writer. He is also the co-host of the Mets Madness Podcast on Talkshoe Radio. Brandon lives in Hornell, NY.
6 Comments + Add Comment
- Metsie: on So Where Are All Those Moneyball Players?: Yeah because in your BIZZARRO world 32...
- Judge Holden: on MLB Scout On Davis: Would Have Been Better Served Going To Minors Last Season: Yeah, anybody. Bring back Donn Clendenon, Keith,...
- Alex68: on So Where Are All Those Moneyball Players?: Why am I not surprised..... Hefner good?...
- Judge Holden: on MLB Scout On Davis: Would Have Been Better Served Going To Minors Last Season: Nope, I'm not. I'm also not surprised...
- Jay: on Mets Are Ten Games Below .500 – It’s Starting To Feel Like 1978: agree, those numbers seem inflated. must be...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!