Same Old Song, Davis Could Miss Rest Of Season
Stop me if you’ve heard this before: Ike Davis is expected back in two weeks.
That was mid-May.
The news isn’t good for Davis, whom GM Sandy Alderson said could require season-ending surgery after a MRI today revealed cartilage damage along with the bone bruise.
Davis had been wearing a protective boot, and the hope is the blood flow in his leg will improve enough to allow him to start running in three weeks. If he can’t, then he’ll undergo surgery.
Davis told ESPN: “Obviously surgery is an athlete’s nightmare, but I’ve had one surgery on my wrist and it worked out really well and it came back better than I was before.
“If it’s going to get me on the field again, obviously that’s something we have to do. But, obviously, we’re going to get a second opinion and see if everything coincides with everything everyone says, and hopefully in three weeks I’m starting to run again.’’
Hopefully, that will be the case, but if not, let’s hope the Mets don’t do with Davis what they did with Carlos Beltran and drag out the process. None of this, “let’s give it another two weeks and see what happens.”
Had Beltran underwent surgery at mid-season in 2009 instead of pushing for a September comeback, it might have alleviated having the surgery on his own the following winter and subsequent spitting match with the front office, not to mention missing half of last season.
If Davis isn’t right in three weeks, then he should have surgery to avoid the possibility of missing part of the 2012 season. The sooner the better.
Don’t think that could happen? Then you haven’t been paying attention to the Mets’ medical history.
About the Author: John Delcos
I am an active member of the BBWAA and have covered Major League Baseball in several capacities for over 20 years, including ten in New York working the Mets' and Yankees' beat. I covered the Baltimore Orioles for eight years and the Cleveland Indians before that. I currently serve as an editor and senior staff writer for Mets Merized Online. Follow me on Twitter @jdelcos.
29 Comments + Add Comment
- Heybatter: on Mets and Braves Suspended After Eight Tied 5-5, Will Resume Play Saturday: Rice will have to......Edgin pitched one inning...
- DrDooby: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: Shh. And don´t tell them that Alderson...
- DrDooby: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: Satin is the prototype organizational Quad A...
- Sach: on Scout Says No Way Flores Can Play Any Position But First Base: The Mets should have been playing Flores...
- DrDooby: on Scout Says No Way Flores Can Play Any Position But First Base: Since Flores won´t have much trade bait...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!