Reyes Says No Negotiations Until After Season
Jose Reyes has told the Mets he will not discuss a new contract with the team during the season.
This afternoon at Citi Field, Sandy Alderson spoke with reporters and said he reached out to the agents for Jose Reyes and was told their will not be any negotiations for a new contract until after the season.
The agent, Peter Greenberg, was contacted by the Mets in recent days to gauge whether Reyes would be willing to begin contract discussions now. Greenberg, in turn, discussed the matter with Reyes, who decided that he did not want to do so, at least in part because he did not want the distractions of contract talks to get in the way of his performance on the field.
Reyes did say in the Spring he wanted to deal before the season started because he didn’t want any distractions during the season, so this is not surprising.
So now what do the Mets do?
Do they trade Reyes before next month’s non-waiver deadline or risk losing him for nothing but two compensation picks if he were to sign elsewhere?
David Waldstein of the NY Times explains the dilemma the Mets now face.
Although Reyes, through his agent, made it clear to the Mets that he would not entertain contract talks until after the season, he could change that stance if the club worked out a potential trade before the July 31 deadline with another team, particularly a pennant contender.
That team may want to make a deal only if Reyes agrees to a contract extension to cover future seasons. In such a situation, the team would probably want a 24-hour window from the commissioner’s office to talk directly to Reyes and his agent about a long-term deal.
If Reyes and that team came to an agreement, the Mets would get more in return for letting him go. The most unattractive option for the Mets would be to trade Reyes before July 31 as a short-term rental for another club. If that were to occur, the Mets would get substantially less in return.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
7 Comments + Add Comment
- Heybatter: on Mets and Braves Suspended After Eight Tied 5-5, Will Resume Play Saturday: Rice will have to......Edgin pitched one inning...
- DrDooby: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: Shh. And don´t tell them that Alderson...
- DrDooby: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: Satin is the prototype organizational Quad A...
- Sach: on Scout Says No Way Flores Can Play Any Position But First Base: The Mets should have been playing Flores...
- DrDooby: on Scout Says No Way Flores Can Play Any Position But First Base: Since Flores won´t have much trade bait...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!