Jose Reyes May Be Changing Alderson’s Mind
John Harper of the Daily News, spoke to a scout who says that while Reyes has seemed more likely to go, as he heads toward free agency, there is a sense among some baseball people that the shortstop may be changing Alderson’s mind.
As an example, Harper shares a discussion he had yesterday with a major league scout who told him:
“If he has to get down to a payroll number,” the scout said, “I think he’ll trade the other two (Carlos Beltran and Francisco Rodriguez) at the deadline, then deal Wright in the offseason. The way Reyes is playing, he has too much value to trade at the deadline for what Sandy can get in return. Look at their club and look at the other shortstops around the league, and trading Wright makes more sense.”
Yesterday, ESPN’s Adam Rubin reported that a source basically intimated the same idea.
“It will be a very ticklish situation because of what David has meant to the team for so long, but that’s not a concern of Sandy,” the source said. “There will be some capital there to spend on Reyes if they choose to go that direction. Now, he can’t obviously get monster money. If Reyes wants monster money, no, the Mets won’t keep him.”
It is now apparently clear that Jose Reyes is having the best season of his career, while by many accounts, David Wright’s best season was 3-4 years ago depending on who you choose to believe.
Both players are going to demand an average annual salary of $15 million plus (Wright becomes a free agent in two years).
So the question becomes who will give you more bang for the buck?
Also, here is something else to consider… It’s the question nobody has asked and I haven’t see mentioned anywhere else yet…
Do you give Reyes, 28, a five-plus year deal now?
Or give Wright a five-plus year deal in 2014 when he is 31?
Happy trails, Hans…
About the Author: Rob Johnson
27 Comments + Add Comment
- Heybatter: on Mets and Braves Suspended After Eight Tied 5-5, Will Resume Play Saturday: Rice will have to......Edgin pitched one inning...
- DrDooby: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: Shh. And don´t tell them that Alderson...
- DrDooby: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: Satin is the prototype organizational Quad A...
- Sach: on Scout Says No Way Flores Can Play Any Position But First Base: The Mets should have been playing Flores...
- DrDooby: on Scout Says No Way Flores Can Play Any Position But First Base: Since Flores won´t have much trade bait...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!