3 Up & 3 Down: A Big Series Win Edition
The New York Mets just concluded a three game series with Eastern Division rivals, the Atlanta Braves, winning 2 of the 3 games. It was looking like a sweep until K-Rod gave up a two run pinch hit home run in the bottom of the ninth. Carrasco then balked in the winning run in the bottom of tenth. Still, there is a lot to be positive about, and the Mets still win the series.
1) Falling In Love Again – I’ve been a Met fan for over 35 years. I don’t say that to brag, or for your sympathy, just to say I’ve seen quite a few Met teams. Some teams I’ve liked more than others. Other teams I disliked. I have to say, I really do like this team. Game three of the Braves series was a little sloppy, but this is a team that plays hard. Scott Hairston played Thursday night and hit a three run homer. The greeting he got on the bench was great. I don’t travel with this team, but the impression I get is that these guys root for each other to do well, and that they are really working together as a team. We’ve haven’t seen that around these parts for a few years.
2) Angel Pagan – Angel is one of my favorite Mets. He just looks like he wants to play baseball. Look at his face when he’s at bat, look at the concentration. He’s one of my “Ups” because he hit a clutch home run on Wednesday night in the Mets 4-0 win an has been sizzling at the plate. Pagan has been a totally different player since returning from the DL, and I don’t think it could have happened to a better guy.
3) Jason Bay – Yes, Jason Bay! Bay had multiple hits on both Wednesday and Thursday, and lets hope Bay is getting back into the groove. Love Bay, or hate him, the Mets need Bay to regain his old form. The Good Guys have been doing okay without Bay’s bat, imagine how good things can get if Bay starts hitting.
1) A Sloppy 10th Inning - Lucas Duda replaces Daniel Murphy at first base in the bottom of the 10th. In my mind I was thinking, “why Terry, why?” The game is on the line here, don’t bring the kid. Duda is caught out of position allowing the Braves to get runners on 1st & 3rd, instead of a 4-3 put out. Carrasco then balks in the winning run. I was watching the game on SNY, and Mets play by play voice Gary Cohen was all over Murphy for being out of position. Too bad Murphy wasn’t in the game. I don’t know, I think Cohen has some sort of gripe against Murphy. Maybe Cohen has just been attending the John Sterling school of play by play.
2) The Tomahawk Chop - How lame is this silly singing and arm motion that Braves do? How annoying is it? Every time I hear the damn thing, I expect to see some squaws dancing around. Seriously lame.
3) Inter-league Play - The inter-league nonsense resumes tonight, when the California Angels come to town. I know I’m in the minority here, but this inter-league stuff has run it’s course, the shine is off the dime. I’m sorry, I can’t get excited about the Mets playing the Angels, or the rematch of the 1973 World Series teams next week. I would rather see the Mets play more National League games against traditional opponents. Maybe an extra series with old NL East rivals the Cards & Cubs, you can also toss in an extra series with the Giants, Dodgers and Padres.
I could have included K-Rod’s blown save in the downs. But, prior to tonight the guy had 20 straight saves, everyone is entitled to a bad night. A 6-4 road trip against two quality teams the Brewers and the Braves. All and all the boys are doing okay.
About the Author: Gregg Hopps
Gregg lives on Long Island, and has been a Mets fan since Bud Harrelson and Pete Rose slugged it out in the 1973 playoffs. "Keith Hernandez is the best defensive first baseman to ever have played baseball."
6 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/18/2013
- TexasGusCC: on Mets Acquire Eric Young Jr. For Collin McHugh, DFA Cowgill and Promote Brown: Good move! There I said it....
- RandomGuy: on Wheeler Deals, Mets Sweep Braves In Nightcap, 6-1: And you keep Murphy at first? Duda...
- XtreemIcon: on Wheeler Deals, Mets Sweep Braves In Nightcap, 6-1: Scouts don't lie. Maybe they get it...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Wheeler Deals, Mets Sweep Braves In Nightcap, 6-1: Second base of course...Mets have a free...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Wheeler Deals, Mets Sweep Braves In Nightcap, 6-1: I have never heard he was miserable...
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!