Forward Progress: Johan Santana Throws From A Mound
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, reported on Thursday that Johan Santana began throwing off the mound this week for the first time since he had surgery to repair his left shoulder.
Santana threw 15 pitches off the slope of the mound, but not from the rubber, that will come next.
It’s a huge step forward for Johan, and a sure sign that things are really progressing well during his rehab.
Santana has been throwing off of flat ground since February, and the Mets are still aiming for a July return.
Original Post 5/1
According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Johan Santana is still throwing from flat ground in Port St. Lucie.
Rubin says that after the Mets broke camp, Santana said that he needed to be throwing from 180 feet in order for his rehab to progress, and allow him to step on the pitchers mound and begin throwing from there. Apparently, he’s still not there yet, but he is throwing from over 100 feet.
This was what Santana said after the Mets broke camp.
“What I know as of right now is they want me to go all the way to 180 feet and then get on the mound. But getting on the mound doesn’t mean that you’re going to be throwing all of your stuff or facing hitters or anything. It’s just to get the feeling for it. And then you go back and long-toss. And then later you get into that, I would say, spring-training mode where you are building everything up and you start pitching.”
I am not a mind-reader or anything, but from the looks of this Johan’s rehab has cetrtainly slowed down to a snail’s pace.
I wonder if he will be able to get on the mound to throw next month or more importantly if he is still on target for that late-June to early-July return that was reported during Spring Training.
Lets hope not.
About the Author: Brandon Butler
Brandon is currently a MMO Minor League Staff Writer. He is also the co-host of the Mets Madness Podcast on Talkshoe Radio. Brandon lives in Hornell, NY.
23 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/16/2013
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Mets vs Braves: Duda At First, Lagares Leads Off, Turner May Go On DL, Civilization’s Over: UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE! I HAD A BAD FEELING!!! ABOUT...
- Hank: on Mets vs Braves: Duda At First, Lagares Leads Off, Turner May Go On DL, Civilization’s Over: Solid first night for Duda in his...
- gorgeguy: on Mets vs Braves: Duda At First, Lagares Leads Off, Turner May Go On DL, Civilization’s Over: He looks like he did when he...
- gorgeguy: on Mets vs Braves: Duda At First, Lagares Leads Off, Turner May Go On DL, Civilization’s Over: Speaking of "not a good hitter", Capt....
- gorgeguy: on Mets vs Braves: Duda At First, Lagares Leads Off, Turner May Go On DL, Civilization’s Over: Lagares is not a good hitter, let...
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!