Cardinals, Reds, Angels Among Teams That May Be Interested In Reyes
Here are five teams that former Reds and Nationals GM Jim Bowden believes may be in the market for Jose Reyes.
1. San Francisco Giants — They’re not trading any of their four starters: Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain, Madison Bumgarner or Jonathan Sanchez. Instead, the Mets would target 1B/OF Brandon Belt, minor league right-hander Zack Wheeler, shortstop prospects Ehire Adrianza or Brandon Crawford and second baseman Charlie Culberson. The Mets might ask for four players and the Giants might offer three. Any deal of this magnitude will have the contingency of signing Reyes to a long-term deal prior to the transaction closing.
2. St. Louis Cardinals — If the Cardinals decide they are not going to commit to Albert Pujols, they could decide to make a deal for Reyes and continue to improve the team up the middle. The difficult part is these two teams don’t match up well. The Cardinals could offer pitching prospects Shelby Miller and Tyrell Jenkins and maybe even future closer Eduardo Sanchez. However, they really don’t have any young position players to make this work (Colby Rasmus and David Freese are not being traded).
3. Boston Red Sox — The Red Sox could be a good fit, if they’re willing to sign another Carl Crawford-type deal, which they might not want to after the start he’s had. A package that included shortstop Jose Iglesias and former LSU stud Anthony Ranaudo would be a good starting point to a potential package.
4. Cincinnati Reds — The Reds have the best farm system of any team that has a need for Reyes. Although they are happy with Paul Janish defensively at short, can you imagine Jose Reyes on the Reds? Instant World Series contenders (if they’re not already). A package would have to include one of their top catching prospects, either Devin Mesoraco or Yasmani Grandal; middle infielder Billy Hamilton or Zack Cozart; a young bat like Juan Francisco; and a starting pitcher with tremendous upside like a Homer Bailey. If the Reds want Reyes, if the Reds can afford Reyes, they have enough to get Reyes.
5. Los Angeles Angels — The Angels have talent to deal and the resources to sign Reyes. The Angels desperately need a long-term solution in the leadoff spot and Mike Scioscia has always built his teams with defense up the middle. Reyes would be a perfect fit. The Angels could offer major league talent back, including a package or combination of players: one of their three catchers (Bobby Wilson, Hank Conger or Jeff Mathis), an everyday shortstop (Erick Aybar), a rotation arm (Tyler Chatwood) and/or a second baseman (Alexi Amarista).
Bowden now joins ESPN.com and you can read the rest of his column here.
I see a lot of opportunities for the Mets to restock the system and possibly get at least one huge prospect in a return package, but that doesn’t mean I’d move him.
I mean how do you make the decision to move your best player on the team who is only 27, plays a demanding position quite well, and is also the team’s leadoff hitter and catalyst. What are all of those things worth to the team?
Is there even a player available who can possibly fill Jose Reyes’ shoes?
I doubt it.
Original Post 4/5 – Audio: Jon Heyman On Reyes
Jon Heyman of SI.com was a guest this morning on the Boomer and Carton show on WFAN where he discussed the Jose Reyes trade rumors and a few other Mets issues.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
14 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 05/18/2013
- ill_egl: on Is Marlon Byrd Finally Coming Around?: I feel the Beltran trade was one...
- DrDooby: on Is Marlon Byrd Finally Coming Around?: The 2011 payroll actually ended up right...
- DrDooby: on Hefner Lasts Just Four Innings In Mets 8-2 Loss To Cubs: Hefner is what he is. A pedestrian...
- DrDooby: on Hefner Lasts Just Four Innings In Mets 8-2 Loss To Cubs: I believe Centeno hurt his hamstring.
- Lifelongmetsfan: on Hefner Lasts Just Four Innings In Mets 8-2 Loss To Cubs: another start like this and it's back...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!