SI.com: Blow Mets Up And Start All Over
As I was reading through the team by team previews on SI.com, I came to the Mets preview where Sports Illustrated graded the Mets offseason a “C”. Not a big deal and pretty much the same assessment we’ve seen all over the web.
The three key questions for the Mets in 2011, which you can read about here, are:
1. Can they withstand the loss of Johan Santana?
2. Is Jason Bay back?
3. Will Jose Reyes be traded?
They picked an X-Factor for each team, and I agree with their choice of Carlos Beltran for the Mets:
One way or another, this is Beltran’s last season in New York. His controversial, injury-filled and at times successful tenure — he did make four All-Star teams with the Mets — will end when his seven-year, $119 million contract does after the season. But despite his knee problems, scouts from other teams have continued tracking Beltran’s progress, feeling that if he’s healthy enough to play for a rebuilding club like the Mets, he might be healthy enough to help a contender down the stretch. The Mets would undoubtedly love to trade him, both to save the money they still owe him and to try to replenish a farm system that is in dire need of a talent injection.
What I really found very curious was their scout’s take on the state of the Mets. Here is what he said:
“Johan Santana may be more of a No. 3 starter now and they’re loaded down with them. Playing in that division, where your No. 1 and No. 2 are basically a three and a four, God help them. Their system is really thin and there’s not a lot there. I don’t see an impact player coming from within and they have to change the climate. If they’re smart, they’ll blow the club up and start over.”
Blow the club up and start over? Really?
I’m no scout, but when your team is centered around a young nucleus featuring players like David Wright, Angel Pagan, Ike Davis, Jon Niese, Bobby Parnell and Josh Thole, I just can’t see why anyone would believe we should blow that up and start from scratch.
Of course the Nationals and Marlins received high grades and they apparently are oozing with potential and high caliber prospects. But the Mets got no credit for adding three quality players from their minor league system to their 25 man roster in Niese, Thole and Davis.
A little objectivity please….
About the Author: Rob Johnson
50 Comments + Add Comment
- oleosmirf: on Mets and Braves Suspended After Eight Tied 5-5, Will Resume Play Saturday: Just because they all seem to dislike...
- oleosmirf: on Scout Says No Way Flores Can Play Any Position But First Base: I watched Flores play 2B in spring...
- Hawk: on Mets and Braves Suspended After Eight Tied 5-5, Will Resume Play Saturday: Please send Tejada down with Ike.
- Dave Willins: on Mets and Braves Suspended After Eight Tied 5-5, Will Resume Play Saturday: Enough of TC bungling already. Let's please...
- Heybatter: on Mets and Braves Suspended After Eight Tied 5-5, Will Resume Play Saturday: Rice will have to......Edgin pitched one inning...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!