Mets Considered Sending Niese To Bullpen
According to the NY Post, Mets officials had been privately discussing using Niese out of the pen because they were concerned Niese was dismissing his changeup (he had thrown just nine in four starts), which reduced him to more of a reliever-like repertoire of fastball and curve.
The Post says that this illustrates how dedicated this front office is to winning.
That the Mets were even pondering such a move shows just how dedicated they are early this season to win rather than play for the future. They further demonstrated that by announcing after yesterday’s 8-4 win over Arizona that they were keeping Gee to pitch out of the pen and demoting D.J. Carrasco, the only free agent they gave a multi-year contract to in the offseason.
I don’t know about all that, but I will say this front office has no tolerance for under-performing players.
Original Post: Mets Option Carrasco, Keep Gee On Roster
The Mets optioned reliever D.J. Carrasco to Triple-A Buffalo after today’s 8-4 win over the D’backs, opening a roster spot for starter Chris Young and keeping right-handed pitcher Dillon Gee with the major-league squad. Young will be activated on Tuesday when he is eligible.
GM Sandy Alderson explains,
“We want the most effective group of pitchers we can have. Dillon does have to move into a different role, but we want to see how he performs. In the meantime, we need to get Carrasco back to where we know he can be effective.”
Carrasco allowed two hits and one run in one-third of an inning today, raising his ERA to 5.91 on the season. He is expected to join the starting rotation in Buffalo.
Good news for Dillon Gee who has 2 Wins, a 2.31 ERA and a 1.11 WHIP in two games sine being called up.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
32 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/19/2013
MMO Mets Chat
- ImaginaryFigment: on Wilmer Flores: It’s Time For Another MLB Debut: U do realize that aside from striking...
- ImaginaryFigment: on Wilmer Flores: It’s Time For Another MLB Debut: But the mets changed their dimensions...
- ImaginaryFigment: on Marcum Can’t Find Win Column As Mets Fall To Braves 5-3: except this canadian team was not under...
- Djmurphy: on Marcum Can’t Find Win Column As Mets Fall To Braves 5-3: Not sure what ur talking about both...
- Djmurphy: on Marcum Can’t Find Win Column As Mets Fall To Braves 5-3: The trade w toronto was great. It...
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!