Happy Birthday Gil Hodges
Gilbert Raymond Hodges
April 4, 1924 – April 2, 1972
The Mets reminded us today that Gil Hodges, the Manager of the ’69 Miracle Mets, was born on this date. Sadly, he died at age 47 after suffering a heart attack in 1972.
Gil the Teacher and Mentor
In addition to being a tremendous and intense athlete who will someday be recognized by the Hall of Fame for his remarkable achievements as a player and manager, Gil was a father figure and a teacher to his younger players. Hodges knew how to nurture them and get the best out of them.
Gil the Leader
Gil Hodges guided the New York Mets to their first World Championship, taking a team from the division cellar and transforming them into a team of believers who shocked the baseball world. His efforts transformed the lovable losers into the best team in baseball.
Happy Birthday, Gil
About the Author: Kelly Horn
MMO's graphic/web designer, the former Met Carlos Beltran's biggest fan, and one of the few but proud Oklahoma Mets Fans
13 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/19/2013
- Corporal Klegg: on Wilmer Flores: It’s Time For Another MLB Debut: Gee Joe who knew that reinstating me...
- Jason bay: on Mateo Had Tommy John Surgery This Week: It really is true about not getting...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Wilmer Flores: It’s Time For Another MLB Debut: From what I see Murphy will be...
- Sven J.: on Atlanta Braves Broadcaster Shows Little Class During Matt Harvey At Bat: The Carey/Simpson duo in Atlanta is one...
- Judge Holden: on Wilmer Flores: It’s Time For Another MLB Debut: Trade Wright, the only professional hitter on...
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!