Daniel Murphy: We’re Trying To Get To A Hundred
In a column by David Waldstein of the NY Times, Mets second baseman Daniel Murphy, still overflowing with enthusiasm after a dramatic win, channeled his inner Tug McGraw after the game. Waldstein explains:
Daniel Murphy, who had two very big hits and one bad defensive mistake, said after the Mets beat the Washington Nationals, 6-3, to pull within two games of .500 at 11-13, that the Mets’ goal is to win 100 games this year.
“It’s a good win, but they’re all good,” he said. “We’re trying to get to a hundred. We’re a step closer.”
In order to win 100 games the Mets must go 89-49 the rest of the way, which is a .649 winning percentage. But if they continue to stage stirring comebacks the way they did Wednesday night, and if Murphy continues to contribute as he has recently, then it might not be so far fetched.
Hey - Murph and Tug are both Irish, so maybe Murphy is onto something here…
Seriously though, I’m still trying to figure out who the 2011 Mets are; the team whose record was 5-13 a week ago, or the team that has won six straight since Jason Bay returned and Daniel Murphy took over for Brad Emaus at second base.
Speaking of Emaus, does anyone still miss him?
Watch Murphy’s pinch hit home run with Howie Rose doing the honors.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
18 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 05/18/2013
- Tommy2cat: on Minors Wrap-Up: Brown/Rodriguez Fill Up Stat Sheet, Cuan Dominant: Nice to see Andrew Brown didn't go...
- METS62FAN: on Injury Update: Wheeler To Rejoin Las Vegas Rotation Next Wednesday: MARK, AFTER 50+ YRS AS A MET...
- gary s: on Mets Appealing Harvey Earned Run, Want Tejada Charged With Error: The tragic is back.Everything about this team...
- Judge Holden: on Mets GM Tells Ike Davis He Has Until End Of Month To Turn Slump Around: Also, based on some of his comments,...
- Judge Holden: on Mets GM Tells Ike Davis He Has Until End Of Month To Turn Slump Around: Great point. As far as I'm concerned,...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!